Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: PD-6ANS-WH - voltage present on red wire even when switch is off.

PD-6ANS-WH - voltage present on red wire even when switch is off.

I just installed a PD-6ANS-WH to control a LED bulb. Following are the wiring attachments:

Switch green wire to earth
    Switch red wire to load
    Switch black wire to live
    Switch white to neutral
    Switch blue wire capped off.

The switch is turning the light on and off without any issues. However, I was confused that the red wire shows a voltage on it even when the switch is turned off. At the same time, the neutral wire never shows any voltage regardless of whether the switch is turned on or not. Is this expected?

This is happening in a new home that was constructed an year ago.

I am using a NCVT-1 voltage tester by Klein tools with a sensitivity range 50V to 1000V.

I have been under the impression that since a neutral wire is attached for power the electronics of the switch, there should be no current leakage on the red wire.

Verified this with Lutron Tech support

Quote Originally Posted by akj_tech View Post
    I just installed a PD-6ANS-WH to control a LED bulb. Following are the wiring attachments:Switch green wire to earthSwitch red wire to loadSwitch black wire to liveSwitch white to neutralSwitch blue wire capped off.The switch is turning the light on and off without any issues. However, I was confused that the red wire shows a voltage on it even when the switch is turned off. At the same time, the neutral wire never shows any voltage regardless of whether the switch is turned on or not. Is this expected?This is happening in a new home that was constructed an year ago.I am using a NCVT-1 voltage tester by Klein tools with a sensitivity range 50V to 1000V.
    I installed the same switch and got the same results. Checked with Lutron tech support. This is normal behavior. The switch needs some power to be ready for a remote and the light indicator. While it shows high voltage, it's a very low amperage. I have a switch connected to an outlet (to take a plug in low voltage transformer). When I have no load connected to the outlet, I get 113 V. When I plug in a work light, I get 12 V. The light is off when the switch is off and on when the switch is on.