Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  1
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: wireless connection to Smart Bridge Pro

Quote Originally Posted by asherrick View Post
    your mileage may vary.
    That is correct. If you have a lot of metal (square metal ducts, and so on) on the way, it can cut the range to as low as 24', below the 30' guidance.

Quote Originally Posted by Brian W. View Post
    All of the Caseta dimmers/switches/shades/etc have to be within a 30 foot radius of the bridge, and there is no way to increase the RF coverage. We figure the area coverage to be about 2000 sqft. The Radio Ra2 system has the same requirements, but with that systm you can add additional auxiliary repeaters to expand the RF out to a total area coverage of 10,000 sqft.
    Thank you.

As long as the Lutron device in not enclosed in a metal box (Faraday Cage), you should still get 30' no problem. The 434Mhz isn't affected as much by the metal construction as Zigbee and Z-Wave's 2.4GHz.
    Simple automation when DIY isn't working
    intuitivehomecontrols@gmail.com
    fb.me/intuitivehomecontrols

Quote Originally Posted by SanDiegoRep View Post
    As long as the Lutron device in not enclosed in a metal box (Faraday Cage), you should still get 30' no problem. The 434Mhz isn't affected as much by the metal construction as Zigbee and Z-Wave's 2.4GHz.
    That is not true, and was confirmed as much by official Lutron representative.

Quote Originally Posted by veeeh View Post
    That is not true, and was confirmed as much by official Lutron representative.

That's interesting. I was never informed of that by Lutron. I've successfully installed Ra2 in commercial applications with similar construction without problems. Did the rep give you any links or documentation?
    Simple automation when DIY isn't working
    intuitivehomecontrols@gmail.com
    fb.me/intuitivehomecontrols

Tech support. Recommended relocating repeater or adding an aux. House is 2x4 and drywall construction, metal ducting for forced air.

Lutron Technical Support
    Large or concentrated metal fixtures (air ducts, filing cabinets, refrigerators, etc.) can block RF signals, whether you are using 484Mhz, or 2GHz. I'm assuming you're talking about Radio Ra2 Main and Aux repeaters, as Caseta doesn't use Aux repeater.

Yes, that's right. The same rules would apply to the Caseta bridge as well.

I have also seen the range get shorter when you have a repeater and device that need to communicate through a steel stud wall, and where the RF needs to travel at a shallow angle through the wall. If the signal is nearly perpendicular to wall, it's all good. If you have lots of metal studs to pass through, adding an AUX repeater to create a redundant path, usually solves it. This is not an option with Caseta. Moving the repeater or smart bridge is often helpful.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12