Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0

Thread: Help selecting right dimmer switch

Help selecting right dimmer switch

This thread may be better suited for the compatibility section of this forum, but since I am making a custom light fixture, I figured I would post it here.

I am, as mentioned, building a sizable custom light fixture utilizing several of these light strips. Per my calculations, the fixture should have a maximum draw of 180W. As such, I'm thinking of using the Mean Well HLG-240H-12B power source. This is technically a driver (in that it is providing constant current) rather than a power supply (constant voltage), so I need to do some further research to see if this will work. Either way, I want to get a dimmable power source that will likely be similar to this one.

The reason I need help selecting the right switch is because I am building this light fixture to replace an existing one. I got plenty of space above the ceiling, but the wall switch is in an external wall, and I do not want to rip it open to add/ replace any wires. This is in a residential situation, so I am dealing with romex, rather than conduit. I currently have a diva dimmer, which means dimming happens over 120V, which won't work with the driver specified above.
    I've installed plenty of LED fixtures with remote drivers, similar to what I am trying to do here. In all of those cases, a 0-10V dimming mechanism was used. But, like I said, I cannot add the additional conductors to the switch to get that to work in my case.

After some research, I think I found a way to make it work, but I would like to hear from people who have substantially more experience. Can I keep my dimmer switch by using a different driver? If so, which one? Or do I indeed need to replace the switch to operate the dimming on the above driver? Again, if so, which one?

I really appreciate any thoughts you all can give me on this.

Hello versteegdavid,

Thank you for your post!

Selecting the right dimmer can be difficult at times and we thank you for reaching out to us to assist you.

First the power supply you have is type B, which can do 0-10V dimming. As long as the 0-10V driver complies with IEC standard 60929 annex e.2, we would be able to fully control it. However, without testing of this specific fixture we would be unable to provide expected dimming performance, like dimming range. I understand you cannot pull wires, but we have a PowPak that can be mounted at the fixture or junction box to reduce the length of 0-10V wires run. You can use a Pico in the wall to then control the PowPak.

The model number of the PowPak is RMJS-8T-DV-B.
    The model number of the Pico (comes with the wallplate and adapter for the mounting): PJ2-WALL-WH-L01

Please see the link below for the spec sheet of the PowPak:

http://www.lutron.com/TechnicalDocum...369913_ENG.pdf

If this solution does not work, please email LEDs@Lutron.com with the spec sheet of your LEDs including how many LEDs per driver and how they will be wired to see if we can specify our LTE 2-wire drivers.

Hope this helps!

Julia K.