Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: 4-way with BOTH mechanical switch and pico

Question 4-way with BOTH mechanical switch and pico

I have a 4-way circuit to replace switches on. I am using one PD-5WS (caseta PRO switch), one CA-3PS (claro mechanical switch), one PJ2-2B (pico remote control).

There are "Lutron Advanced Wiring Instructions" online - but they only show wiring for a combination of 2 mechanical switches or 2 pico remotes - while I need 1 switch plus 1 pico. Contacted Lutron Chat and they were unable to help. Will call their 800 tech support number later when I get a chance, but for now, any help from here?

P.S. Bonus points if we can figure out how to put the 5WS switch in place of a 4-way. However, I would be happy even with placing it instead of 3-way switches. Both options would be best.

I'll give it a quick shot myself... Top "black" wire on 5WS always goes to Load... It looks like when we are using 5WS with mechanical switches, bottom "blue" and "black" traveler wires alternate "on" or off based on the state of mechanical switch, witch changes the state of Caseta switch... When we are using 5WS with pico's, the traveler wires are tied together in the 4-way location, bottom "blue" is not used and bottom "black" goes to Line...

So, let's say I replace the 4-way location with a PICO, put 5WS in one 3-way, and put 3PS into another 3-way location. I would connect 5WS top black wire to Load. I would still run bottom blue and black "traveler" wires to the 3PS and then one from 3PS to Line. But instead of connecting all 4 traveler wires together in the 4-way switch location (behind new pico), I would run the two travelers separately there, making two connections in the 4-way switch location. Does that sound correct?

Update. To answer my own question. Called Lutron Tech Support. They've confirmed that I should wire 5WS and 3PS as a "large 3-way", so there still should be two traveler wires going all the way from 5WS to 3PS. The "4-way" location in the middle would get PICO and instead of tying all 4 wires together in that location, I would have 2 pairs of 2 wires, so that they could function as 2 travelers between 5WS and 3PS. Pretty much what I thought. Just wanted to confirm. Big thanks everybody.

Another update. Here's the diagram of how to wire a Caseta switch installed in the 4-way location. All other instructions and my solution above have to install the switch in the 3-way location and cover the 4-way location with a pico.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	4-way-in-the-middle.jpg 
Views:	99 
Size:	998.9 KB 
ID:	808

You could also make it simple by connecting a dimmer / switch to the main wiring on the light, and then using 2 PICOs to complete the 4 way. I do this with my ranch house that has a landing with lighting as soon as I walk in the front door. You go up or down steps to get to living spaces. The main switch is at the landing, and I have a pico at the top and bottom steps to give me the ability to turn lights on and off at each location.