Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: How do you get a keypad re-engraved or changed?

How do you get a keypad re-engraved or changed?

Haven't really seen this in all my research. I did all the RA2 training and bought some items that I'm now learning with and playing with like seeTouch keypads. Just wondering though if I have one engraved, is that it? Or can I ever have it done again? On eBay someone had just an engraving card for $100 CAD plus $10 shipping which seems kind of high but not sure how that works or if you can just pay Lutron directly to do it? Wondering the cost of it as that will help me determine what labels to use right now.

My biggest concern is that I use it with Indigo or HomeSeer (or will use it rather), and might have a seeTouch engraved to show things like Sonos stations or Z-Wave lights etc as they all work great so far in my tests, but that the integration stops working or something and now I have all these expensive seeTouch keypads that have some labels on them that refer to non-Lutron devices. Just wondering if I'm able to ever change it.

You can easily swap out the keypad buttons (as an entire set, not just one individual button). When you get the keypad it comes with a blank set of buttons, and then when you order your engraved buttons (you get a certificate for a free set of engraved buttons with each keypad), Lutron just ships you a new set of buttons (you can change the button layout too when you order a new set), and you pop out the blank ones and pop in your new engraved buttons. You can buy new sets of engraved buttons at USD$65 MSRP.

Great thanks I've ordered them already just wasn't sure how to change them in future. I just checked eBay actually and they are so cheap on there, like $100 CAD for 6 of the yellow engraving cards, so that's great. Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by psychobunny View Post
    Great thanks I've ordered them already just wasn't sure how to change them in future. I just checked eBay actually and they are so cheap on there, like $100 CAD for 6 of the yellow engraving cards, so that's great. Thanks!
    I’ve never purchased engraving certificates from eBay, but I’d be a little afraid that someone could be selling certificates that have already been used. You do not need to mail the physical certificate to lutron, so somebody could easily use the certificate and then try to sell it.

Yeah it's definitely a risk, but in that case I should be protected by eBay and PayPal buyer protection or at least a dispute with MasterCard. There's ones for $50 CAD for 2 of them, so wouldn't be too terrible losing out on that if I absolutely had to. I don't need anything re-engraved, just was wondering if there was a process for it so good to know there is.

The $65 USD official one, do you pay Lutron for that or have to order it as a part # from a distributor somewhere?

Quote Originally Posted by psychobunny View Post
    The $65 USD official one, do you pay Lutron for that or have to order it as a part # from a distributor somewhere?
    You can buy those from distributors, and you should get whatever discount off MSRP you'd typically get from your distributor... I would end up not paying that much more than those ebay prices...

I bought all $2500 of my current RA2 equipment off eBay as I'm in Canada and basically gave up trying to find someone that would sell it to me. Literally half the dealers or installers listed on Lutron.com are out of business or go to a website that shows 404 Not Found. I literally tried 10 one day and 8 of them all are out of business or load to the "coming soon" domain placeholder. I then emailed about 10 others and only 1 replied to me, saying they do more home audio but are authorized to install RA2 but can't just sell it to me, that they'd have to install it instead. So far so good with eBay though as I had a lot of luck with people doing jobs and then having a lot of spare seeTouch keypads left over or other devices unused new in box they just want to get rid of, so got a few seeTouch hybrid keypads for $125 each which worked out well.