Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0

Thread: LED CAN Lights Glow when a different switch is turned on

LED CAN Lights Glow when a different switch is turned on

Hello, my scenario is I have three switches that are all on the same circuit (go to same breaker). One controls the front exterior lights, the second controls the interior entry way light and the third controls the hallway LED Can Lights. After swapping in some new Lutron switches and LED bulbs this weekend, my LED Can lights now glow when the exterior lights are turned on.

Here's my setup:
    Last year I swapped out the two incandescent can lights with LED retrofit units and installed a Lutron Diva CL switch for them. They have worked great the past year, no issues. Now the changes done this weekend. I changed out my 3 exterior lights. The old ones powered CFL bulbs the new ones are LED bulbs. To control these new lights I installed a Lutron Caseta smart dimmer switch (so I can have the switch turn them on/off with sunset/sunrise). Last, I changed the incandescent bulb in the entry way light to an LEB bulb and also changed it’s switch to a Lutron DivaCL. After making these mods, everything appeared to work perfect. It wasn’t until nightfall that I saw the two LED Can lights have a soft glow; so dim that with any other lights on in the house or any outside light shining in you can’t see it, but with the house pitch black you can see them glowing. What I found is, if I turn off the exterior lights now controlled by the Caseta switch, the CAN lights stop glowing; if I turn the exterior back on, the CAN lights resume glowing.

Any ideas on what could be causing this? Again, the LED CAN lights controlled by the Diva CL switch did not exhibit this behavior before this weekend’s changes. I assume changing the exterior light fixtures to LED bulb based fixtures and changing the entry way lightbulb to an LED bulb wouldn’t do this, so the only other change is adding in the Caseta smart dimmer switch and the second Diva CL. Appreciate any ideas you have on how I can stop them from glowing when the exterior lights are on. I don't need the dimmer on the exterior lights, I could swap it out with the PD-6ANS-WH smart switch, but that's just a guess on my part.

Hello Fredman6,

Thank you for your post!

Based on the information you have provided we would like you to call into our 24/7 technical support line at 1-844-588-7661, you can request me directly, Julia, or email in to LEDS@lutron.com. When calling in please have a multi meter and access to both the Diva dimmer and the Can lights.

We look forward to hearing from you soon!

Julia K.