Thanks Thanks:  2
Likes Likes:  2
Dislikes Dislikes:  0

Thread: Glass isssue

Glass isssue

Hi, I need some ideas on how to solve this problem - have a Maestro 2 Amp Motion Sensor Switch (MS-OPS2H) installed in a room off my main bathroom that has a shower and a toilet. I have the timeout set to 5 minutes and it works fine. However when the shower is used it sometimes takes a person more than 5 minutes and the light times out. Although I have a clear glass shower door facing the switch (about 4 feet away), the switch does not sense any movement behind the glass door. We have to slide open the shower door in order to turn the light back on.

My dilemma is that I do not want the timeout normally set to 15 minutes (which would be sufficient for a shower) as it would be too long for any other use and use more electricity. As far as I can figure - the only solution is to set the timeout to 15 minutes before getting in the shower then reset it to 5 minutes after the shower. Seems like there must be a more elegant solution.

Any ideas?

In my experience the motion sensors do not work through glass. I have used them in glass offices and they work great for segregating the circuit on motion. I see two possibilities for you: change the MS-OPS2H to a MRF2-6ans and use an RF motion on the ceiling or the only other solution would be what you had said and change the timeout.

Quote Originally Posted by dasadler View Post
    Hi, I need some ideas on how to solve this problem - have a Maestro 2 Amp Motion Sensor Switch (MS-OPS2H) installed in a room off my main bathroom that has a shower and a toilet. I have the timeout set to 5 minutes and it works fine. However when the shower is used it sometimes takes a person more than 5 minutes and the light times out. Although I have a clear glass shower door facing the switch (about 4 feet away), the switch does not sense any movement behind the glass door. We have to slide open the shower door in order to turn the light back on.

My dilemma is that I do not want the timeout normally set to 15 minutes (which would be sufficient for a shower) as it would be too long for any other use and use more electricity. As far as I can figure - the only solution is to set the timeout to 15 minutes before getting in the shower then reset it to 5 minutes after the shower. Seems like there must be a more elegant solution.

Any ideas?

3. Thanks Julia K., dasadler thanked for this post
    Likes Julia K., dasadler liked this post