Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0

Thread: Force Unoccupied State

Force Unoccupied State

I have a room with a motion sensor that programs a LIGHTS shared scene when occupied and then turns it off when it triggers the unoccupied status via an OFF shared scene. The room also has a keypad that will turn the lights off via the same OFF shared scene.

If I hit the OFF button on my way out of the room and then return before the sensor has enough time to go to unoccupied state, then the sensor does not trigger the occupied event and as such doesn't turn the lights on for me when I reenter. I can turn the lights on manually with the keypad, but it is just awkward to have the system sometimes turn the lights on and sometimes it doesn't depending on how the lights got turned off.

It works as desired if I leave the room long enough for the sensor to get to the unoccupied state before I return and trip the occupied state. Obviously if I don't turn the lights off when I leave the room, then things appear normal as either the lights are still on upon my quick return or they are off because the lapse was long enough to go to the unoccupied state and then my reentry triggers the LIGHTS scene as desired.

What I would like to do is to force the the sensor into the unoccupied state as part of the actions when I hit the lights OFF button. This would allow my reentry to the room to always act as expected.

Is there a way to programatically force the sensor into the unoccupied state?

I don't believe the LRF2 sensors accept any external input. The only option seems to be to decrease the timeout settings.
    Convergence Technologies Raleigh, North Carolina
    www.convergenceusa.com

Are there other motion sensors that we could integrate where we would be able to programmatically set them to the unoccupied state?

Lutron's Occ Sensors all seem to have a grace period. It makes sense when you consider the average user expects the lights to be on if you're in the room, even if you've been sitting still for short while.

If you are looking for true 'motion sensing' with no grace period you should probably check into motion sensors for security alarms. You could wire it to a CCI either in a QS keypad or QSE-IO and use the same occupancy programming that you are using now.

I have a new idea that will "Almost Work". I can use 2 sensors and get close to the functionality that I am looking for. Set the first sensor to 10 minutes and only use it for the unoccupied functionality. Set the second sensor to a 1 minute window and use it for the occupied actions.

When I walk into the room the 2nd sensor should turn on the lights and they should remain on until the 1st sensor times out at least 10 minutes later.

If I leave with the lights on and return < 10 minutes later then lights should still be on and both timers should restart their countdown, if I return > 10 minutes later then both sensors should be in the unoccupied state and we restart the process.

If I leave and turn the lights off on my way out then return > 1 in but < 10 min later, then 2nd sensor which has by this time reverted to its unoccupied state should turn the lights on for me and the 1st sensor should restart its 10 minute countdown.
    If I return > 10 minutes later, both sensors have gone to the unoccupied state and we restart the process.

I still have a problem if I leave and turn the lights off then return < 1 min later as the 2nd sensor has not yet timed out to its unoccupied state as such it doesn't know to turn the lights back on for me.

Everything works as expected if I don't turn the lights off when I leave the room, but if I was willing to have this restriction I could accomplish this with only 1 sensor.

This solution is close, but not perfect.

I don't see how this will work. Sensor 1 (10 min) won't ever do anything since sensor 2 (1 min) turns the lights off after 1 minute with no motion.

I do remember something about placing multiple LRF2 sensors in the same room in HQS. I believe HQS requires an off/no motion from all sensors in the room.

I have a client with an attic that has 3 sensors. I didn't want them to get caught in the back with no lights because the sensor went off. The solution was to add a sensor in each section of the attic.
    Convergence Technologies Raleigh, North Carolina
    www.convergenceusa.com

I would recommend setting the timeout on the sensor itself to the minimum time ( 5 minutes using the standard buttons, but there is a "special" sequence that will get the timeout down to 1 minute which I don't remember at the moment ).

Then I setup the "Additional sensor timeout" under the sensor programming tab to add additional time on the software side. This allows the sensor to get into the unoccupied state faster and will still trigger the proper "scene" after the 10 minutes ( or whatever you setup ) has passed.

-andy