Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Recommendations on integrating with Philips Hue

Recommendations on integrating with Philips Hue

Are there any ideal ways to do this? I like using Hue spotlights to add colour to my various lighting scenes. Doesn't look like RA2 shows Hue as an integration. I've seen some software like Indigo for Mac has a RA2 plugin and Hue as well so that could be one option, just not sure how good the plugin is with Indigo. I'm not looking for integration in the sense that I can control Hue from an app or anything, just more if I have a RA2 scene I run I'd like some Hue lights to come on to a certain colour at the same time. So something like Indigo wouldn't be a huge deal since all RA2 programming wouldn't be done on it, and it would just watch for a scene to run to turn the Hue lights on etc. Just wondering what most people do (if anything) in terms of using Hue. Thanks!

I don't use Hue, but I use Indigo layered on top of RR2 and it works very well for adding more automation and logic than is possible with RR2.

My first post - I'm planning a move from Caseta to RA2 (not sure which level) and reading a lot of forum posts, but I think I can help here as it's the same issue in Caseta-land.

If you have HomeKit running in the home all you have to do is set up a HomeKit automation that is based on a trigger (conceptually similar to IFTTT). The easiest way is to set a trigger based on light level. (You could trigger based on Power State too, but there's more control with brightness level.) So:
    1) Install iOS HomeKit control app "Home - Smart Home Automation" as the native Apple Home app does not show all available HomeKit functionality.
    2) Program your Lutron button to set light brightness level to something non-standard like 98%.
    3) In "Home - Smart Home Automation" app create an automation based on light level that triggers when the Lutron dimmer light level is 98%.
    4) Set the action to turn on the Hue lights (and maybe set your Lutron dimmer to 100%).

It does stink that there is no official integration as Hue is a great product, and there are some cool reasons to mix Lutron and Hue products. Lutron even used to make a Pico-like controller that could control Hue (or other ZigBee lights) directly (but not part of any controlling apps), but they've discontinued that product. There's still demand for it - used ones can go for $100 even when new ones were about $20.

Quote Originally Posted by BillD View Post
    My first post - I'm planning a move from Caseta to RA2 (not sure which level) and reading a lot of forum posts, but I think I can help here as it's the same issue in Caseta-land.

If you have HomeKit running in the home all you have to do is set up a HomeKit automation that is based on a trigger (conceptually similar to IFTTT). The easiest way is to set a trigger based on light level. (You could trigger based on Power State too, but there's more control with brightness level.) So:
    1) Install iOS HomeKit control app "Home - Smart Home Automation" as the native Apple Home app does not show all available HomeKit functionality.
    2) Program your Lutron button to set light brightness level to something non-standard like 98%.
    3) In "Home - Smart Home Automation" app create an automation based on light level that triggers when the Lutron dimmer light level is 98%.
    4) Set the action to turn on the Hue lights (and maybe set your Lutron dimmer to 100%).

It does stink that there is no official integration as Hue is a great product, and there are some cool reasons to mix Lutron and Hue products. Lutron even used to make a Pico-like controller that could control Hue (or other ZigBee lights) directly (but not part of any controlling apps), but they've discontinued that product. There's still demand for it - used ones can go for $100 even when new ones were about $20.
    I have a whole box of those remotes lol, they used to be like $15-20 so bought a ton to control all my Hue lights directly. Maybe I should look at selling some if they go for so much! Weird they discontinued it as they work so well!