Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Can I just buy RadioRA2 for DIY install like Caseta?

Can I just buy RadioRA2 for DIY install like Caseta?

Hi everyone,

We decided to sell our home and upgrade to something bigger, at least 3000+ sq feet if not more, so I was thinking I could finally look at RA2. Right now we use Caseta mostly and a mix of Z-Wave and other technologies.

When I looked into RA2 before at my condo, I was doing all the training videos online to get certified in programming it and so on but then decided to not go ahead with it. Was thinking it would be good to just do it at my new place though but seems like it's meant to be more for a professional installer as I can't find any places (at least in Canada) where I can just buy the switches etc other than eBay. I'm not against a professional install, but the reality is that 95% of the fun of automation is doing the installation and programming yourself I think, so I'd just hate to pay someone to take away all the fun lol.

Can it be purchased from anywhere, or do you need to be a partner or something to buy it, which is why only eBay seems to have it? Not 100% I want to go this route as the dimmers are significantly more expensive than other technologies so still have to see if it's worth it, but wanted to post first to find out. I'm ideally looking for somewhere like a typical online store, where I can see all pricing and buy it myself vs having to request a special quote etc (since I have NO idea what a retail dimmer or controller etc should even cost, so be nice to compare a bit).

Thanks!

You'll need to find an authorized distributor. Check the where to buy on Lutron's website and look for an electrical distributor.
    Simple automation when DIY isn't working
    intuitivehomecontrols@gmail.com
    fb.me/intuitivehomecontrols

Tried that already but none are actual stores, they are all like interior design companies or audio etc where their websites consist of "contact us for a quote." I was looking more for an online store.

At least where I live (Chicago area) there are distributors with large stores - generally lighting companies... I'm surprised you didn't find anything on the site.

That being said, I order all my stuff from a distributor in California - Paul at Hank's Electric - he is active on this forum and other RR2 forums (AVS). Shoot me an email (ray at raykramer dot com) if you want any more info (I'm not sure how much I can post here).

Thanks will do! Going to go through them more but the first 3 I picked all went to companies that are out of business lol. The other 6 or 7 I tried were all just "contact us for a consultation" on their site, but I'll review more and let you know in case. Thanks!

I just found an Radio RA2 Select starter kit - RR-SEL-KIT-1

Radio Ra 2 "Select" Starter Kit. Includes all you need to get started on a simple system.

2x RRD-6ND-WH Dimmers
    1x Pico 4 Button "Any Room" Keypad

1x Pico Wallbox Adapter (mount)
    3x CW-1-WH single screwless wlalplates
    1x Main Select Repeater (RR-SEL-REP2-BL)

Choosing "Select" you will not be able to use:
    seeTouch in-wall keypad
    seeTouch tabletop keypad
    Grafik T keypads/dimmer
    PowPak dimming modules
    Hybrid Dimmer/Keypad

Bummer that the keypads are not usable in "Select"

Attached Files Attached Files