Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: New Home 2018

New Home 2018

I’m getting a new home built that should be done in end of 2018. I really like the Caseta Lutron System. I would like to install the system throughout the house for entire home automation control. Should I be telling my builder to do anything specially right now to make the process easier for me? Also did anybody on here do anything similar to there home? Thanks in advance for advice.

Quote Originally Posted by Sgray89 View Post
    I’m getting a new home built that should be done in end of 2018. I really like the Caseta Lutron System. I would like to install the system throughout the house for entire home automation control. Should I be telling my builder to do anything specially right now to make the process easier for me? Also did anybody on here do anything similar to there home? Thanks in advance for advice.
    Yes, you should contact an authorized Lutron dealer in your area. The Caseta system is not intended for full home control. It is limited just a couple of rooms. You should consider HomeWorks QS (wired preferably).

Caseta will work fine as aWhole house system, especially if it is a smaller home. Caseta is limited to 50 devices per account. HomeWorks QS is an incredibly expensive system. If you want to go with a higher end system, consider RA2 Select (similar to Caseta, with a few additional features and 100 devices), or Radio RA2, which would fit the needs of most homes.

Tell them you must have "a neutral in every box." That will mean something to them and help you in the future.

Caseta devices are decorator style (big opening). Most builders electricians use devices for toggle (small) opening. It's probably worth it to upgrade to decorator even for devices you don't plan on changing to Caseta.

They should use traditional 3-way/4-way wiring with no dead ends (again, will mean something to the electrician).

You have the option of hiding some devices. Instead of (2) 4-gangs at the front door you could have (1) 3-gang with the other switches hidden in a closet.
    Convergence Technologies Raleigh, North Carolina
    www.convergenceusa.com

Quote Originally Posted by randyc View Post
    Tell them you must have "a neutral in every box." That will mean something to them and help you in the future.

Caseta devices are decorator style (big opening). Most builders electricians use devices for toggle (small) opening. It's probably worth it to upgrade to decorator even for devices you don't plan on changing to Caseta.

They should use traditional 3-way/4-way wiring with no dead ends (again, will mean something to the electrician).

You have the option of hiding some devices. Instead of (2) 4-gangs at the front door you could have (1) 3-gang with the other switches hidden in a closet.
    National Electric Code requires a Neutral wire at all switch locations. It has for several years.

It still happens. Some states have exceptions to certain articles, some jurisdictions don't enforce every article. Some electricians seem to get away with murder while others get dinged for minutia.
    Convergence Technologies Raleigh, North Carolina
    www.convergenceusa.com