Thanks Thanks:  1
Likes Likes:  1
Dislikes Dislikes:  0

Thread: RF Keypad power?

RF Keypad power?

I'm trying to price a Vantage system upgrade to Lutron and initially I had assumed since the seeTemp keypads can be powered by 24v or 120v the same would be true of all keypads but that's not the case. I understand the reason for HVAC related products being able to run on 24v but it seems like RF keypads should too just in case a wired keypad gets a damaged conductor it would be nice if we could at least supply power to an RF device instead of trying to find a 120v feed and damage walls. In a wired Lutron system there's usually never a 120v feed closer then a few feet. Typically the closest feed to a keypad is just about 6' to the required outlets flanking a door.

Now with Vantage it uses two a two conductor keypad wire, power and coms on the same pair which just makes me wonder why but it is what it is. It just seems like an oversight not have the ability to power Lutron's RF keypads the same way their wired keypads get power.

I hate to think I might have to scrub what could be a $250k upgrade project over something so simple. It's easy to upgrade an existing Lutron or LiteTouch system to Vantage but not the other way around it seems. I'm guessing I have to learn Vantage now.
    VAV
    Danbury, CT

Fortuately I continued digging and happened across this app note.

Aparently QS RF can be fed by a 48vdc power supply so I can upgrade a Vantage System with wired keypads that use a two wire 16 awg cable.

http://www.lutron.com/TechnicalDocum...tems.pdf#page9

https://images.tradeservice.com/9ETB...E00107_1_3.pdf
    VAV
    Danbury, CT

This is the Application Note with specifics. You can still use the RF keypads if the Vantage dealer used Cat-5 or 1-pair security wire, which a lot of Vantage dealers did. There are some limitations based on wire size, length and number of keypads.

http://www.lutron.com/TechnicalDocum...%20keypads.pdf
    Convergence Technologies Raleigh, North Carolina
    www.convergenceusa.com

4. Thanks Josh R. thanked for this post
    Likes Josh R. liked this post
    Thanks. That’s pretty much the same info I found yesterday but reassuring to see reepated in another app note. I’m pretty sure all keypads were wired with 16/2 or 18/2 unshielded so my next concern would be how many keypads wered daisy chained on any given wire but at least now I have hope.
    VAV
    Danbury, CT

They don't address the issue but I don't see why you couldn't put 2 of the power supplies in parallel if you needed to power more keypads. If they ran an actual loop you could split the loop. You could also look at splitting a run and adding a power supply in a closet, etc.
    www.convergenceusa.com

I've had great luck powering HQRX keypads with low voltage power supplies as low as 24 VDC. Lutron's white papers are always very conservative so I find that I can usually go further than they recommend.

Have you experienced any issues with communication? I am wondering if underpowering the radio reduces the range??

Some others here have mentioned they used the Grafik Eye 24v power supply to power RadioRA 2 keypads.
    www.convergenceusa.com

Randy
    That was me using the Ra2 WPM power for keypads. Didn't have more than 3 on a link. Been working for years no problem.
    I will be attempting the same thing in a few weeks, but will be using existing GE's. If it doesn't work I have backup plans.
    I expect it will work.

Quote Originally Posted by randyc View Post
    Have you experienced any issues with communication? I am wondering if underpowering the radio reduces the range??

Some others here have mentioned they used the Grafik Eye 24v power supply to power RadioRA 2 keypads.
    Hi Randyc- I had no problems with range but I wasn't pushing the envelope either. I was simply powering it off the 24vdc DIN Rail power supply that was powering the QS processor.

On the large Vantage retrofit I did use the recommended power supplies and they worked great. We had a 4 wire in place so we just doubled up on conductors as cheap insurance. Watch polarity- they should all be the same, even tho with AC you might think it doesn't matter. If you have trouble flip the polarity at the power supply- there will be a right way and a wrong way to power the keypads in this fashion. No harm if backwards, the keypads just won't power up.