Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  1
Dislikes Dislikes:  0

Thread: MACL-153M not working

MACL-153M not working

I have 115W of LEDs (in ten separate can lights) on a circuit with one master dimmer and two companions. Master used to be a MA-1000 but it failed (probably because the circuit uses LEDs now instead of halogens as it used to).

I replaced the MA-1000 with a new MACL-153M. The other two switches are MA-R companion dimmers, which I did not replace.

The circuit is powered, but nothing happens when I tap the MA-153M. There are no indicator lights lit, either.

This was a functioning system until the MA-1000 failed a couple days ago. I wired the replacement exactly as the failed switch was wired.

Can anyone help me diagnose and solve my problem? Maybe one or the other of the MA-Rs has also failed or something? Thanks!

The indicator LEDs not lighting can be caused by two things.

No power - make sure the power-in is connected to the black terminal.

No load - the dimmer needs to "see" the load.

I hate the wiring diagram that comes with the MACL-153. If you call tech support you will get different answers from the "wallbox" and "Systems" (RR2, HomeWorks) groups. I have attached the wiring diagram for the RR2 CL dimmer. I have never had an issue when using this method. The big difference is that the power comes in on the black screw and goes out to the next device/load on the brass screw. The blue screw is used for communication. I normally use the red wire for this because it is easier to trace through the circuit.

http://www.lutron.com/TechnicalDocum...ary/044332.pdf
    Convergence Technologies Raleigh, North Carolina
    www.convergenceusa.com

3. Likes Julia K. liked this post
    Hello Ericalbert,

Thank you for your post!

If the wiring randyc suggests does not work, it could possibly be a bad companion dimmer. If the re-wire does not work, please bypass both companions (you can label the wires with masking tape for future reference), does the MACL-153M have indicator lights then? If it does, re-install each companion one at a time, until the MACL-153M loses its indicator lights again, whichever one causes that symptom is the bad companion.

If not restore the indicator lights after bypassing the companions what happens if you replace a single LED with an incandescent or halogen bulb, does the MACL-153M work then? Sometimes LEDs will generate resistance over time causing our digital dimmers to no longer detect them as a lighting load, adding an incandescent will stabilize the circuit allowing the MACL-153M to function properly.

Hope this helps!

Julia K.

Ensure that the wiring on the existing (old) switch has been modified as stated in step 5b of the instructions. If the wiring is correct make sure that the MACL-153M is programmed properly. This can be done by pressing and hold the ON/OFF button and the dim up until one of the green LEDs starts to blink. If the LED in the middle is blinking, push the dim down button once and the bottom LED will blink. Once the bottom LED is blinking push the ON/OFF button once and attempt to use both the dimmer and the switch normally.

Quote Originally Posted by Charlie257 View Post
    Ensure that the wiring on the existing (old) switch has been modified as stated in step 5b of the instructions. If the wiring is correct make sure that the MACL-153M is programmed properly. This can be done by pressing and hold the ON/OFF button and the dim up until one of the green LEDs starts to blink. If the apkjunky LED in the middle is blinking, push the dim down button once and the bottom LED will blink. Once the bottom LED is blinking push the ON/OFF button once and attempt to use both the dimmer and the switch normally.
    Hope this helps!