Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Link wall dimmer to plug dimmer

Link wall dimmer to plug dimmer

How do I link wall dimmer on/off to plug in dimmer? I'd like to be able to turn off all lights from wall dimmer when leaving the room.

Authorized Lutron Contributor
    Quote Originally Posted by Jwindle View Post
    How do I link wall dimmer on/off to plug in dimmer? I'd like to be able to turn off all lights from wall dimmer when leaving the room.
    Jwindle,

Unfortunately in Caseta Wireless you cannot program a dimmer to turn off another dimmer. You will need to assign a Pico remote to control both dimmers or create a scene using the Lutron App.

An option is to mount a Pico Remote on the wall next to dimmer and then place a two gang wall plate around both devices. Then you can program the Pico to control both dimmers.

I have passed this feature feedback along to the Caseta Wireless development team.

Kevin, thank you for the answer, but this is a huge oversight in the product line up. The intent is to simplify operations, not to add more components to further confuse my spouse.

I understand that Caseta isn't intended to have the same level of functionality as Ra2 (with scene capability on every button), but I assumed I'd be able to use wall dimmer on/off as master on/off for all loads associated with a room.

While I think we'd all like the ability to program scenes on every button (especially since the wall dimmer doesn't have a "favorite" preset) I would expect to be able to use the wall dimmer as a room master on my way out of the room.

Pass that along to the wireless folks, please.

Yup, I'd like to be able to do this too.

Guys,

I don't see what your aversion is to adding a Pico (for this particular scenario I think the scene Pico would make the most sense). Also, I would not want to lose the ability to individually control each light from a corresponding switch which is what would happen if one dimmer controlled two sets of lights.

Asherick, it's simply because I don't want to overwhelm others. I love me some buttons. But my wife and guests hate too many button. I'd like to program the wall dimmer as a room master, with a "favorite" preset. 1-gang only. Adding a pico just adds more complexity.

Unless I can remove the dimmer button assembly, and mount a Pico on top. I'd actually be okay with this.

Exactly. You're also adding an extra "wall wart" when it's not necessary.
    My kitchen recessed lights are on a switch, I want to add under cabinet lights. I can easily add an outlet hidden in a cabinet to power those lights and then use the Caseta lamp module to control them. I'd like them all to come on at once, with the same switch we always use to turn on the kitchen lights, so it makes the most sense to use the same switch. Plus there's already a 4 switches there, i'd rather not make it 5 switches.

Nailed it.

Quote Originally Posted by Kevin P. View Post
    Jwindle,

Unfortunately in Caseta Wireless you cannot program a dimmer to turn off another dimmer. You will need to assign a Pico remote to control both dimmers or create a scene using the Lutron App.

An option is to mount a Pico Remote on the wall next to dimmer and then place a two gang wall plate around both devices. Then you can program the Pico to control both dimmers.

I have passed this feature feedback along to the Caseta Wireless development team.
    Kevin any word on whether they are working on adding this feature ?

I would not count on this as a feature add. HWQS can do this through it's programming, but Ra2 cannot. I would not anticipate this coming to Caseta at all, but it would be a nice feature.
    Simple automation when DIY isn't working
    intuitivehomecontrols@gmail.com
    fb.me/intuitivehomecontrols

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast