Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Can I adapt the Caseta Switch + mechanical three-way installation to multi-location?

Question Can I adapt the Caseta Switch + mechanical three-way installation to multi-location?

I have just installed a Caseta hub and plug-in controller as part of the conversion to a less-stupid home. So far so good, and plans are in place for some of the simpler one-way and three-way upgrades.

I am also exploring using a Caseta switch (6ANS) to replace an existing 4-switch configuration that controls fluorescent and incandescent lights in parts of the basement and, most importantly, the basement stairs. This is part of a plan to replace the "bulbs" with non-dimmable LED without replacing any fixtures.

I have gone through the Advanced installation document.

I understand (more or less) the Caseta switch + mechanical in a three-way configuration, and the Caseta switch + Pico On/Off remotes in the multi-location configuration.

Is there some way to adapt the mechanical option to the multi-location situation? I know (the hard way) four-way switches are more complicated than three way (which are complicated enough). All of the electrical boxes have a neutral wire available.

I'm a little worried that the farthest Pico remote might be too far from the switch although the Caseta hub is definitely in range.

Thank you for this.

UPDATE: I did search extensively before creating this post, however this popped up which answers the question (no).
    https://forums.lutron.com/showthread.php/3775-Multi-locations-with-mechanical-switch

If everything is in range of the hub you are good. The hub will act as a repeater and relay any signals in its frequency range.

You can also add 1 plug-in dimmer and program it to act as an extender.
    Convergence Technologies Raleigh, North Carolina
    www.convergenceusa.com

Thanks for the info. I had previously added the plug-in dimmer and it automatically chose to become a repeater. I'll see how the 4 switch installation goes.