Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  1
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: RadioRA2 Essentials vs. Inclusive

While I somewhat understand your stance, if you want to be able to program systems in the modern era you will need a modern Windows laptop. Hell I hate MacOS or anything Apple, but I have to also program Savant systems and if I wanna do that I get a Macbook which is what I did. A couple hundred dollar investment to be able to program Lutron systems shouldnt be a big deal even if you dont like Microsoft- its a necessary evil- just use it as you are using the Ra2 software. I assume you are using an emulator or something to run the Ra2 Inclusive software so you stil are using Windows anyway!

Quote Originally Posted by johnmax View Post
    While I somewhat understand your stance, if you want to be able to program systems in the modern era you will need a modern Windows laptop. Hell I hate MacOS or anything Apple, but I have to also program Savant systems and if I wanna do that I get a Macbook which is what I did. A couple hundred dollar investment to be able to program Lutron systems shouldnt be a big deal even if you dont like Microsoft- its a necessary evil- just use it as you are using the Ra2 software. I assume you are using an emulator or something to run the Ra2 Inclusive software so you stil are using Windows anyway!
    I am using an emulator (VirtualBOX), running an old, 32 bit copy of Windoze :-) (although, I probably could spend some time with Wine and make it work.... eventually. COmes down to the path of least resistance, and to your point, someday Ill have to spend a couple bucks on a product I dont want (or need... at the moment).... kinda reminds me of the affordable care act (but Im NOT going there :-) )

I jsut dont do this often enough to actually matter, however one I get forced into RA3 and the necessity or NEEDING a 64 bit copy of Windoze, Ill adapt at that point.

The largest question is why does a Processor released in 2022 require any computer software to program. Lutron's marketing material even calls it an "All in One Processor". The processor should have enough horsepower to run its own database and configuration apps via a web server. It doesn't even need to be as powerful as a Raspberry pi. The little Hubitat box that costs $95 when on sale does everything it needs to via a web interface.

As far as Windows goes, IMO MS and Apple are more a less neck and neck. They're both just tools. MS quality these days is reasonable. Apple's is too, but (for me) Apple's reliability is down over the past several years. I just bought my HS kid a new Windows 11 laptop for $500. It's obviously fairly low end but actually works pretty well, better than the Parallels VM I use on my Mac. If I were using Windows even a little regularly I'd get another laptop. Another option for some homeowners is to install the VM on a NAS. If I were "in the industry" I'd have a current "Windoze" machine, even virtual, just to keep up to speed on its capabilities. From my understanding Windows Subsystem for Linux works pretty well.

Quote Originally Posted by BillD View Post
    The largest question is why does a Processor released in 2022 require any computer software to program. Lutron's marketing material even calls it an "All in One Processor". The processor should have enough horsepower to run its own database and configuration apps via a web server. It doesn't even need to be as powerful as a Raspberry pi. The little Hubitat box that costs $95 when on sale does everything it needs to via a web interface.
    This system is not meant to be a DIY or homeowner configured system- That is what Caseta is for. RA2/3 is meant for dealers to install and program and when you want to do complicated programming and engravings and other items the software does, they arent going to provide an alternative- you need the software. Same as pretty much any other control systems out there.

This system is not meant to be a DIY or homeowner configured system- That is what Caseta is for. RA2/3 is meant for dealers to install and program and when you want to do complicated programming and engravings and other items the software does, they arent going to provide an alternative- you need the software. Same as pretty much any other control systems out there.
    Setting up a well functioning Lutron RadioRA 2/3 system in Lutron software is no more difficult, and in some ways easier, than setting up a well functioning lighting system in a DIY controller like Home Assistant, Hubitat, HomeSeer, etc. Those systems alll have much greater complexity than RadioRA 2/3 system by itself. And RadioRA 2 integrates with those DIY controllers very easily. The big issue today with DIY controllers relate to the limitations of RadioRA 3 and LEAP. Lutron offers the training to anyone who wants to take it. I compare it to plumbing. I can do some, not all plumbing. I can do some, maybe even just short of all, home automation myself. I have no problem calling a plumber or HA dealer for stuff I can't/don't want to do.

Programming a RA2/3 system is just NOT that complicated. The original RA was a total pain to set up, but RA2 fixed that. Anyone with basic computer skills that is willing to work through Lutron’s on-line classes should be able to do it. Yes, there are tips and tricks that come with experience, but overall Lutron has done a great job in developing software tools that make it easy.

There are two types of RA customers. Those that don’t want to deal with any of the technical details and will hire an installer. The other group are the techies that enjoy programming and want the ability to experiment and set up a system without having to depend on someone else. They are not going to hire an installer and it’s not always about saving money, it’s having control. Up until RA3, Lutron did a good job of serving both types. LEAP is a good move to improve security, but companies like Hubitat and HomeSeer should be given access to it. Providing support for the techie/DYI customer is not going to hurt the professional installers, since that type of customer would never go to them in the first place. Lutron will just loose out on hardware sales as the techies look for something else.

7. Likes BillD liked this post
    You must be Lutron certified for Inclusive. I'm not sure if they still do this online or you have to go train. The Immersion/Level 2 course is taught directly by Lutron only. stumble guys

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12