Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Intermittent keypad failure on all keypads.

Intermittent keypad failure on all keypads.

I updated an old Interactive system to a wired QS system which worked fine for about six weeks. Then, my client calls and tells me his keypads (all 12) had stopped working for about 18 hours then were fine. It happened again over most of the weekend but again worked fine on Sunday night. I stop by on Monday morning and they are working. I check the voltage and its 23.9v. and leave. Two hours later they are dead again - I come back later that day and they are again working normally. Has anyone had any experience with this?

Authorized Lutron Contributor
    How are the keypads blinking when they stop working? Do they have any blink code? Are they scrolling in any specific manner?

If they do not blink in any way, they may not be getting any power and we would recommend verifying the pin 2 connection is solid among all wire runs.

If the keypads begin to scroll when they are not working, it may indicate some sort of wiring issue with the link. We would recommend ensuring there is continuity among all wire runs, that pins 3 and 4 are not touching anywhere on any run, that the link does not have a grounding issue, and that the link has the proper voltages. The link shouls see between pins 1-2: ~24V; pins 1-3: ~2V; pins 1-4 ~1V.

A good step would be to disconnect the link when the keypads behave like this and start re-connecting in small pieces, stopping when you add a piece that does not work and investigating the wiring to it.

Quote Originally Posted by Armando B. View Post
    How are the keypads blinking when they stop working? Do they have any blink code? Are they scrolling in any specific manner?

If they do not blink in any way, they may not be getting any power and we would recommend verifying the pin 2 connection is solid among all wire runs.

If the keypads begin to scroll when they are not working, it may indicate some sort of wiring issue with the link. We would recommend ensuring there is continuity among all wire runs, that pins 3 and 4 are not touching anywhere on any run, that the link does not have a grounding issue, and that the link has the proper voltages. The link shouls see between pins 1-2: ~24V; pins 1-3: ~2V; pins 1-4 ~1V.

A good step would be to disconnect the link when the keypads behave like this and start re-connecting in small pieces, stopping when you add a piece that does not work and investigating the wiring to it.

On 10/6 support suggested disconnecting the processor from the LAN. The keypads have worked fine for the five days since. Looks like it is a bug in the QS software.

If the system and keypads work correctly when taken off the network, it is possible the processor is seeing too much Ethernet traffic and it may be causing interference with its operations. As removing the processor from the system seemed to get the system operational again, we would recommend sub-netting the processor off the network so it only receives the Ethernet communication it would need (i.e. third party systems or the LHC+ app). For assistance with sub-netting the system off the network or making a VLAN, we would recommend you work with an IT or networking professional familiar with the application.

There is no traffic to speak of! A desktop and two iPads, a receiver in the home theater that is rarely on. The processor is plugged into a Belkin wireless access point which connects to the Belkin router. That is it.

Thank you for the additional information. However, as the keypads and system worked while off the network, and removing the system from the network was the only step taken to have them work again, we would recommend subnetting the system on its own network in order to ensure it only receives the Ethernet communication it needs and the keypads work without issues.

Quote Originally Posted by Armando B. View Post
    If the system and keypads work correctly when taken off the network, it is possible the processor is seeing too much Ethernet traffic and it may be causing interference with its operations. As removing the processor from the system seemed to get the system operational again, we would recommend sub-netting the processor off the network so it only receives the Ethernet communication it would need (i.e. third party systems or the LHC+ app). For assistance with sub-netting the system off the network or making a VLAN, we would recommend you work with an IT or networking professional familiar with the application.
    Is there a set of best practises Lutron system designers should use to set up QS processors on LAN? Most of the systems I deploy are on big managed networks with LOTS AND LOTS of network traffic. Should I be sub-netting the QS processors on all of my jobs? I've seen this referenced before on this forum but none of my IT pros seem interested in setting up new VLANs. Is there a white paper from Lutron re: VLANs I can refer to?

You can also read this
    Attached Files Attached Files

Post mortem

Quote Originally Posted by mcignarella View Post
    You can also read this
    Turns out the client replaced his router - there has not been a problem since.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast