Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Caseta options for 15A circuit

Question Caseta options for 15A circuit

Hi,
    I'm looking for ways to connect my pool pump to my Caseta system. I have the Caseta hub and a few lights on it currently.

The pool pump is 1hp and is currently connected on a 115v / 15A circuit breaker. It's the only load on that circuit.

Given the lack of outdoor solutions, I'm OK with introducing the smarts into the circuit near the main breaker panel, and just keeping the standard GFCI outside at the plug.

Is there a Caseta option for this? Or a competing by compatible product? I also have a Samsung SmartThings hub that is plugged in but not doing anything if that opens my options.

Cheers,
    Peter

You can use the Caseta switch to control a motor rated contactor. Lutron's version (PHPM-SW-DV-WH) is only rated for 1/2HP at 120v. Use the neutral switch as the contactor won't provide much load.

http://www.lutron.com/TechnicalDocum...ry/369-357.pdf
    Convergence Technologies Raleigh, North Carolina
    www.convergenceusa.com

If you are willing to do a bit of work you can use a RAB relay (sealed pre-wired relay) they make versions for 120V single phase with a 120V coil you can control from a caseta switch that then can switch a 20A inductive load (like a motor). I have one similar for a 240V motor that needs both hot legs switched together, it also has a 120V coil and DPDT switching that can work for this case. I'm not sure if they are totally weatherproof I used a deep outdoor pool wiring box to put them in - ideally near the pool motors (like at the isolation switch location).

I just replaced the old dual pole on/off switch with the caseta switch and repurposed the existing wiring (quite easy). So now I still have the same old manual operation option and also remote via a scene pico, scenes, schedules etc

Alan