Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Multiple switched lights with Caseta and remotes

Multiple switched lights with Caseta and remotes

I have a smart home package that came with some Caseta switches, remotes, and the smart bridge all controlled through Alexa and I'm looking to add to the system. I have a three story house with lights in the stairway that have switches on each floor that each control all stairway lights (just on/off), for a total of three rocker switches controlling six lights. I just purchased another Caseta wireless dimmer switch with Pico remote, an extra Pico remote as well as two wall plate brackets for the remotes. Should I mount the Caseta switch on the second floor and mount a remotes on the first and third floor, so the switch is in the middle?

Do I just cap the wires that will be coming out of the switches that I will be taking out and replacing with remotes? Should I cut the exposed portion of the wire down to the insulation before I cap it? Also, will the Pico remotes with brackets fit behind standard double and triple gang wall plates? I have double gang wall plates on floors one and two, with a three gang wall plate on the third floor. The rocker switches that control lights other than the stairway lights, that are mounted in the same boxes, will be staying in place on all floors.

The setup will be as follows (I think):

Floor One: Remove rocker switch that controls stairway lights, cap wires from that one switch, replace with Pico Remote and bracket, cover with two gang wall plate;
    Floor Two: Remove rocker switch that controls stairway lights, replace with Caseta smart dimmer switch, cover with two gang wall plate;
    Floor Three: Remove rocker switch that controls stairway lights, cap wires from that one switch, replace with Pico remote, cover with three gang wall plate.

Then I will pair the Caseta and Picos with the system.

Am I missing anything here?

Thanks!

Advanced instructions here:

http://www.casetawireless.com/Docume...ced%20Inst.pdf

You can see they call for the master dimmer to be at one end or the other.
    Convergence Technologies Raleigh, North Carolina
    www.convergenceusa.com

Quote Originally Posted by randyc View Post
    Advanced instructions here:

www.casetawireless.com/Documents/0301710a_Caseta%20Advanced%20Inst.pdf

You can see they call for the master dimmer to be at one end or the other.
    That's good to know. I was only thinking of installing the dimmer on the second floor so the remotes had equal distance from it. Thanks for the link!

Dave

I don't think the distance 2 floors up the stairwell in a residential setting will be any kind of range issue