Thanks Thanks:  2
Likes Likes:  3
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: RE Action Request: Connect Bridge Firmware Update email received from Lutron

RE Action Request: Connect Bridge Firmware Update email received from Lutron

I just got this email from Lutron and am not sure what it means. Can someone decipher it please? This is what the main part said

Quote Quote
    As part of Lutron’s commitment to provide customers with world class products and a best in class service experience, we strive to maintain backwards compatibility whenever possible. However, some cases require firmware changes that cannot be applied to early versions of products.

In order to receive a necessary firmware update required for future operation, all first-generation Lutron Connect Bridges (model # CONNECT-BDG-1) must be connected to the internet prior to May 25th, 2018. Lutron Connect Bridges that do not receive this firmware update prior to May 25, 2018, will no longer work.
    Does this mean that if a customer has a connect bridge already installed and working, it will automatically receive and update its firmware without me having to go to their house to update it and all will work fine forever or does this mean their older one will continue to work but not get any new features in the future? What other purpose is there for doing this? What if they're out of town and their internet is out? Is their connect bridge bricked? Is this something that's being rolled out in phases or already done today if they're online?

Most people I know who bought this bought it within the last year and it's a VERY bitter pill to swallow to tell them their connect bridge is already obsolete.

2. Thanks gt3mike thanked for this post
    Watching closely, I have one of these bridges (Doh! -Homer Simpson).
    Simple automation when DIY isn't working
    intuitivehomecontrols@gmail.com
    fb.me/intuitivehomecontrols

Is there a way to validate that the firmware update has been applied (other than waiting to see if it stops working)? I didn't receive the email so I don't know whether any other info was given.

The whole idea of the connect bridge is to always be connected to the internet so don't see the point of worry on that side. Doubt they will send it all out in mass on one day. Hopefully spread it out. But then again...
    The part that gets me is inventory. So the 1st gen I took out and replaced with 2nd. Is that inventory? It's in the 2nd gen box on my inventory shelf. It's lonely and rejected.
    If they are willing to give credit for on shelf inventory how about the on site inventory "To take care of our mutual customers".
    How many really have any left on the shelf?
    gt3mike. Email in full

May 14, 2018
    To Lutron Valued Customers:

As part of Lutron’s commitment to provide customers with world class products and a best in class service experience, we strive to maintain backwards compatibility whenever possible. However, some cases require firmware changes that cannot be applied to early versions of products.

In order to receive a necessary firmware update required for future operation, all first-generation Lutron Connect Bridges (model # CONNECT-BDG-1) must be connected to the internet prior to May 25th, 2018. Lutron Connect Bridges that do not receive this firmware update prior to May 25, 2018, will no longer work.

Please check your inventory immediately and remove any affected devices from your sellable stock. To take care of our mutual customers, Lutron is requesting that all first generation Connect Bridges (CONNECT-BDG-1) in your inventory are returned to Lutron in exchange for a free replacement with the current second generation of the Connect Bridge (model #: CONNECT-BDG2-1), which now supports Apple HomeKit.

Please note that the second generation of the Connect Bridge which supports Apple HomeKit (model #: CONNECT-BDG2-1) is not affected and should not be returned.

To return any affected product in your inventory, or if you’d like additional information, please contact your local Lutron Representative or regional Lutron Customer Service Team:

North America

Thank you for your continued support,

6. Thanks gt3mike thanked for this post
    They should have done this exchange immediately upon releasing the BDG2!

8. Likes gt3mike, SDR-Mike liked this post
    Putting in a new Connect today. The process it makes me go through tells me this is not a auto update.
    Requires pushing button on back and power cycling. Expect to get a few call on this one.
    It also says it takes 5-15 min. Would be nice to be able to able to do this at the shop like I do for the main repeater.
    First attempt failed. Trying again.

Does Lutron still monitor this forum? This is a very critical issue and they have been silent about it. I have some customers that are an hour and a half away so if I have to set up a time with them and drive all the way over there, it's going to cost me a lot of money it would be even worse if I have to make two trips and ate the cost of a version to connect

11. Likes gt3mike liked this post
    By the way the one it's making me update is a Bridge-2. Email doesn't say 2 has to be updated but when staring the Connect app it tells me to update.
    Followed instructions three times it failed. Of course it's at the end of the day and each fail takes 10 minutes before it tells me it failed.
    2 tries where on WIFI last one was direct to router.
    Ra2 finds it no problem and transfers fine

Authorized Lutron Contributor
    Good Afternoon, yes we still monitor the forums and an email was sent on April 24th explaining to plug in any devices that may be effected by this firmware update so that the bridges could receive the required firmware update. The devices that would have been effected by this update are:

• CONNECT-BDG-1 (non-HomeKit)
    • CONNECT-BDG-2 (non-HomeKit)
    • CONNECT-BDG-3 (non-HomeKit)

Any 2nd generation bridge that is Homekit compatible would not have been effected. As long as the 1st generation bridges had an internet connection (i.e. ones that were sold and installed) and had previously received a firmware update would receive the new firmware update and continue to work properly.

If you cannot get a Connect bridge to connect to our server and are unsure of what firmware is currently on it, you can call Lutron Technical Support while you are on site and we can help troubleshoot and find the current firmware that is loaded on the bridge.

What new functionality, if any, does this firmware update provide?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast