Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Lutron Widget iOS app "Unable to Load"

Lutron Widget iOS app "Unable to Load"

75% of the time when I swipe over to the Lutron widget in iOS the widget will hang on "Unable to Load". Sometimes it will flash briefly with my 17 scenes but mostly it never loads. Trying to get to a favorite scene by force touching on the Lutron app icon is also slow and mostly doesn't work. This completely undermines the entire functionality of the $4,000 I invested in Lutron. That widget is THE way to run the Lutron system.

When I had an iPhone 6 I always thought it was just because it was a slow phone. Six weeks ago I switched to and iPhone X and damned if it still does it (in fact it's worse). Searching the entire internet does not turn up any hits so I suspect this is an edge case (maybe related to the fact that I have maxed out the Caseta system with 50 devices). Is there anyone else with a 50-device system that is experiencing the same problem on iOS? Mostly I'm posting this in hopes someone from Lutron might see it. This may be an edge case but this is the edge that has invested heavily in Lutron.
    Lutron Caseta System 2 Hub, 50 devices, iPhone X, iOS 12, Apple TV 4 tvOS 12, Home iOS App, Eve iOS App

I gave up on this and started using a third party app. Lutron does not seem interested in fixing the widget in their app. It is a shame since apparently the people who have a problem are the ones who have spent the most. I purchased 50 Lutron devices and expect the app to work. It does not.
    Lutron Caseta System 2 Hub, 50 devices, iPhone X, iOS 12, Apple TV 4 tvOS 12, Home iOS App, Eve iOS App

Updating the iPhone X from iOS 11 to iOS 12 seems to have fixed the problem. Works great now...like it should.

Quote Originally Posted by picree View Post
    Updating the iPhone X from iOS 11 to iOS 12 seems to have fixed the problem. Works great now...like it should.
    So what was the problem? IOS not up to date? Same problem here, can't seem to fix it.

I can only assume that iOS 12 had several performance improvements not in iOS 11 (press releases said as much). It's not that my OS was not up to date (it always was on my phone(s)). The Lutron widget never worked right for me, not on an iPhone 6 with iOS 8 all the way up to an iPhone X on iOS 11. Since there were so few others complaining I assumed it was because I maxed out the system with 50 devices and it was simply taking too long to translate the commands and enumerate the devices in the widget.

However, on iOS 12 it works just fine with an iPhone X. On my wife's iPhone 6s (and iOS 12) the widget is much faster and way more usable (than it was under iOS 11) but there's still some latency.

How many Lutron devices do you have? What phone do you have? iOS 12? If you only have a few devices and the latest phone/OS and still have problems then you might want to start all over. All I can say is with 50 Lutron devices the widget on iOS 12 should be usable but slow on an iPhone 6s but should work like a champ on an iPhone X. Realize I never had any issues controlling devices from the Lutron app. The app was a little slow to open an enumerate all the devices but it worked fine. It was just the widget that was unusable.

iOS 12 is the OS the iPhone X should have shipped with...my opinion.

Quote Originally Posted by picree View Post
    I can only assume that iOS 12 had several performance improvements not in iOS 11 (press releases said as much). It's not that my OS was not up to date (it always was on my phone(s)). The Lutron widget never worked right for me, not on an iPhone 6 with iOS 8 all the way up to an iPhone X on iOS 11. Since there were so few others complaining I assumed it was because I maxed out the system with 50 devices and it was simply taking too long to translate the commands and enumerate the devices in the widget.

However, on iOS 12 it works just fine with an iPhone X. On my wife's iPhone 6s (and iOS 12) the widget is much faster and way more usable (than it was under iOS 11) but there's still some latency.

How many Lutron devices do you have? What phone do you have? iOS 12? If you only have a few devices and the latest phone/OS and still have problems then you might want to start all over. All I can say is with 50 Lutron devices the widget on iOS 12 should be usable but slow on an iPhone 6s but should work like a champ on an iPhone X. Realize I never had any issues controlling devices from the Lutron app. The app was a little slow to open an enumerate all the devices but it worked fine. It was just the widget that was unusable.

iOS 12 is the OS the iPhone X should have shipped with...my opinion.
    I eventually switched to using a Lenovo Smart Display(with Google Assistant) which is also connected to a few home minis. I use the display as like a main console, and works just fine. IDK I feel having a main screen connected to everything else like a master device is just so much more comfortable haha.

Broken again

Fast forward two and a half years and it’s broken again on iPhone X. This time no favorite icons show up. I’ve tried removing and adding them back. No joy

Update today fixed the issue. Thanks Lutron for being responsive. All is good. Love it!

Lightbulb I had a similar problem…

In my case, I found that after I deleted and re-installed the app on my iPhone 7+ with iOS 14.5.2, I was able to give the new installation the correct permissions and it has been able to connect to the bridge so that I can program the new lamp switches that I have installed. If doing a hard reset of the bridge and reinstalling the app don’t help, then I’m not sure what other options might be available to you. Good luck!