Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0

Thread: What would you do?

What would you do?

Hi.
    I programmed a HW system back in 2008 & I have just heard that the processor is faulty!!
    The client has called in another Lutron Programmer to diagnose this & they are now asking me for a back-up of the programme!!
    Would you charge for sending this & if so, how much?

Thanks & looking forward to hearing your views!!

There has been a lot of discussions about this on various forums. The consensus is that the owner paid you to write the program so, without documentation to the contrary, they own it. It's one area that dealers frequently overlook - explaining that it is a custom program but they own it.

I believe you are entitled to some compensation for maintaining the backup copy. A nominal fee for disc space, backups, etc.
    Convergence Technologies Raleigh, North Carolina
    www.convergenceusa.com

Quote Originally Posted by randyc View Post
    There has been a lot of discussions about this on various forums. The consensus is that the owner paid you to write the program so, without documentation to the contrary, they own it. It's one area that dealers frequently overlook - explaining that it is a custom program but they own it.

I believe you are entitled to some compensation for maintaining the backup copy. A nominal fee for disc space, backups, etc.

Ok that’s great.

Thanks for your reply.