Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Non Responsive Load through Keypads

Non Responsive Load through Keypads

Good morning,

I have a system that has been in service now for 6-7 months. This morning a friend of mine and fellow electrician called me saying they are unable to turn off their dining room high hats. When walking them through step by step to understand what they have tried I came to find out that both keypads within the dining room will not control the high hats. However the keypads are able to control other light loads within the dining room as well as adjacent rooms. I had him go to the actual dining room high hat dimmer a "6CL" to see if he could turn it on or off and he was able to do so. I then had him turn the high hats back off from their dimmer and check the status of the dining room keypads as I have them configured as a Toggle/Room Monitoring button. He informed me that the dining room high hats were in fact off, however both keypad buttons for the high hats were lit indicating that the high hats were still on.

Being that the keypads are able to control other loads within the dining room as well as adjacent spaces I do not think it is a communications issue. I also do not think there is an issue with the keypad button since this is being seen on both keypads not just one. I am only left to think that there may be a problem with the 6CL dimmer as he is also unable to control this dimmer from within Lutron Connect.

If anyone is able to share any thought s I would appreciate it. I am planning on taking a ride out for him to swap out the dimmer and update the system accordingly this weekend.

Thank you

It may be that the individual keypad button went bad and you need to replace the entire base. I realize that it is 2 keypads but it may be used very frequently. Before you swap anything, try programming the 6CL to another button. It has happened to me.

Quote Originally Posted by GLDCSTAV View Post
    Good morning,

I have a system that has been in service now for 6-7 months. This morning a friend of mine and fellow electrician called me saying they are unable to turn off their dining room high hats. When walking them through step by step to understand what they have tried I came to find out that both keypads within the dining room will not control the high hats. However the keypads are able to control other light loads within the dining room as well as adjacent rooms. I had him go to the actual dining room high hat dimmer a "6CL" to see if he could turn it on or off and he was able to do so. I then had him turn the high hats back off from their dimmer and check the status of the dining room keypads as I have them configured as a Toggle/Room Monitoring button. He informed me that the dining room high hats were in fact off, however both keypad buttons for the high hats were lit indicating that the high hats were still on.

Being that the keypads are able to control other loads within the dining room as well as adjacent spaces I do not think it is a communications issue. I also do not think there is an issue with the keypad button since this is being seen on both keypads not just one. I am only left to think that there may be a problem with the 6CL dimmer as he is also unable to control this dimmer from within Lutron Connect.

If anyone is able to share any thought s I would appreciate it. I am planning on taking a ride out for him to swap out the dimmer and update the system accordingly this weekend.

Thank you

Quote Originally Posted by Imshea View Post
    It may be that the individual keypad button went bad and you need to replace the entire base. I realize that it is 2 keypads but it may be used very frequently. Before you swap anything, try programming the 6CL to another button. It has happened to me.
    Thank you. I will give that a try.

So I just had my friend try to remove the dining room high hats from the button via the Connect App and associate another load to that button. The app came back with a failure of a device being non responsive. I also had him try adding the dining room high hats to another button on a different keypad and he received the same failure message. So I would gather that the 6CL dimmer failed and should be replaced.

I would try resetting them to factory defaults and adding them back to the system first.
    Make sure you have power-in on the black screw, power-out on the brass, including the remote dimmers.
    Make sure there isn't a 4-way that didn't get replaced.
    It still could be a communication issue. I've seen the middle device in a 3-gang not respond but the 2 on the outside do.
    Convergence Technologies Raleigh, North Carolina
    www.convergenceusa.com

Quote Originally Posted by randyc View Post
    I would try resetting them to factory defaults and adding them back to the system first.
    Make sure you have power-in on the black screw, power-out on the brass, including the remote dimmers.
    Make sure there isn't a 4-way that didn't get replaced.
    It still could be a communication issue. I've seen the middle device in a 3-gang not respond but the 2 on the outside do.
    I can certainly try doing that. As for wiring, the residence is new construction, so all loads were wired to a central mechanical closet and no 3-way or 4-ways exist. Keypads are on their own circuit loop per floor. Again this system has been working without issue since early September. The 6CL is able to still control the load On/Off/Dim when using it locally just no response from Keypads and no ability to add the load to another keypad button or remove the load from the originally assigned keypad button.

Sorry for stating the obvious. Sometimes it helps though. Continuing with the obvious... have you tried resetting with the gap switch?
    Convergence Technologies Raleigh, North Carolina
    www.convergenceusa.com

Quote Originally Posted by randyc View Post
    Sorry for stating the obvious. Sometimes it helps though. Continuing with the obvious... have you tried resetting with the gap switch?
    No apologies needed. I completely understand and agree. Sometimes the simple/obvious is overlooked.

Yes, I did have him pull and reset the air gap switch. I also had him turn the breakers off for the 6CL and Keypads and then turn back on just as a thought of a complete reset. He said he also unplugged the main Repeater and powered back on as well. All else is fully functional with no issues.

Quote Originally Posted by GLDCSTAV View Post
    No apologies needed. I completely understand and agree. Sometimes the simple/obvious is overlooked.

Yes, I did have him pull and reset the air gap switch. I also had him turn the breakers off for the 6CL and Keypads and then turn back on just as a thought of a complete reset. He said he also unplugged the main Repeater and powered back on as well. All else is fully functional with no issues.
    Were you able to get this sorted out? I have the same thing happening on an RRD-10ND in a bathroom that had previously been working fine.

Same symptoms as you have: Using the 10ND by physically pressing the buttons controls the load, but programatically controlling the load (via a keypad, a lighting scene, or an automation system) all fail. The status of the light isn't reflected correctly on keypad that can control the load either...

The final solution to the problem was replacing the device as all other attempts failed. Once the device was replaced and activated all was fine.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast