Thanks Thanks:  1
Likes Likes:  1
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Wired Grafik Eye QS

Wired Grafik Eye QS

Working on a residence with multiple Grafik Eyes QS.
    All have more than one wired keypad. QSWS2-5BRLI-IV QSWS2-PEN-PL
    Plan is to turn the house or a least some of the areas into RA2.
    I have done a house with replacing old GE's with QS and using the wired link for power to the keypads.
    If I'm thinking correct, I need do do the same here. Can't use fully wires keypads in a RA2 system? Even if the GE's are QS?
    QS is either wired or wireless. Not both. Correct?

Check the model number of the Grafik Eye. QSGR-xx is wired only. QSGRJ-xx can be wired or wireless control. If you activate the RF functions you can no longer use the wired controls (i.e. QSWS2 keypads).

RR2 120v keypads can also operate on 48vdc. Depending on the specs of the wire and the placement of the keypads you may be able to replace the QSWS2 keypads with RRD keypads. There is an app note at lutron.com with details and specs for the power supply.
    Convergence Technologies Raleigh, North Carolina
    www.convergenceusa.com

Forgot to post the QS model. They are QSGRJ-4P.
    I have used the built in power link on the GE's to power up wireless keypads before. Wasn't sure at the time if setting QS as wireless would deactivate the power link but it didn't. That job has been running fine for years now.
    The Model of the QS was my main concern. Thanks for clarifying Randy.

So you are using the Grafik Eye mux power to power RadioRA 2 keypads (RRD-Wxx)? I thought they required 48vdc and the Grafik Eye only puts out 24vdc?
    www.convergenceusa.com

Good point but realized I was wrong on the GE part. I replaced old GE's with WPM's.
    3 total WPM's.
    WPM1 - 2 keypads
    WPM2 - 3 keypads
    WPM3 - 3 keypads
    All have original Lutron wire
    Yes I'm using the mux link power. It's been working for years. No complaints so far. Loads are all LED. Mix of MR16, Screw in, and retrofit.
    Let's see if Lutron chimes in on this one.

Sorry for the confusion but I'm still not 100% on your topology. You can have wired and wireless devices communicating with a QSGRJ. For example, you could have a Pico remote and a QSWS2 keypad assigned to the QSGRJ. However, the spec submittal states that when you enroll it in a RR2 system the mux link is deactivated. The documentation for the WPM doesn't address the issue.
    www.convergenceusa.com

Basics of old system 2016
    Replaced multiple GE 302(think that's the number, Defiantly double feed. Only needed one feed when converted to LED) with WPMS with RA2 wireless keypads. KP's getting power from WPM's
    Many 8ANS being controlled from keypads
    Main and Aux

Current System 2018
    Have 5 QSGRJ-4P with multiple wired keypads.
    Want to do the same with power supply. No way at the moment to add plug in power without working the wall significantly
    Then build it all into a bigger system.
    Really was just concerned about the GE's model number. But should have used more brain power and just looked in Ra2.
    They say a WP is just a GE without the fancy stuff.
    Don't want to plan on doing the same as old system then fly out here and find out I'm wrong because GE's are diff than WPM's.

That's interesting that you have the RR2 keypads working on 24v.

The spec for QS grafik Eye does say the QS LINK is disabled when added to a RadioRA 2 system. The WPM spec doesn't say anything. I'd do a mock up before I drove too far.
    www.convergenceusa.com

Quote Originally Posted by randyc View Post
    That's interesting that you have the RR2 keypads working on 24v.

The spec for QS grafik Eye does say the QS LINK is disabled when added to a RadioRA 2 system. The WPM spec doesn't say anything. I'd do a mock up before I drove too far.
    randyc-
    Mitch and I have done this several times. The power link on the QSGRJs and WPMs is still active, just the mux link is disabled. Some of the older GEs could power more keypads, but the newer models typically start having issues after 3 keypads. There are times that the keypads won't activate, so I keep an appliance pigtail with fork terminals just for this purpose. wire the KP to the pigtail and plug into an outlet. Activate. Then install on the 24VDC from the WPM/QSGRJ. Should take the transfer like a champ.
    Simple automation when DIY isn't working
    intuitivehomecontrols@gmail.com
    fb.me/intuitivehomecontrols

10. Thanks randyc thanked for this post
    Likes randyc liked this post
    Mike
    So you are saying the power should still be enabled on the QSGRJ like the WPM's
    I have done this on multiple WPM's but can't recall doing it on a QSGRJ.
    I did have a keypad give problems once on activation but multiple attempts got it.
    This particular job I may run power to the keypads. All should have easyish access to run line voltage.
    My goal was to reuse the existing wire to save time. This job is a high end vacation rental in Hawaii. Been told two major factors are of course budget and time.
    Time in particular because I have to work in between rentals. So less rewire I have to do the better.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast