Thanks Thanks:  7
Likes Likes:  13
Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: Caseta Wireless Fan Control

If you are using HomeKit you can accomplish using a combination of Insteon and Caseta products.

You need the following:
    - Caseta Smart Bridge (With HomeKit Support)
    - Caseta Plug In Lamp Dimmer
    - Insteon Hub Pro
    - Insteon Fan Controller
    - Lutron PJ2-4B-XXX-XX Pico Remote

Optional (for Lights)
    - Phillips Hue Bridge (With HomeKit support)
    - Phillips Hue Bulbs (Color/Ambient/White)
    - Lutron Connected Bulb Zigbee Remote

Basicly You need to Link the 4 button pico remote to the Lamp dimmer. Set button 1 as 100%, button 2 as 80%, button 3 as 60%, and button 4 is off.

You need to set 8 trigger in Homekit:
    - If Lamp-Dimmer = "100%" then Fan-Controller = "High"
    - If Fan-Controller = "High" then Lamp-Dimmer = "30%"
    - If Lamp-Dimmer = "80%" then Fan-Controller = "Medium"
    - If Fan-Controller = "Medium" then Lamp-Dimmer = "30%"
    - If Lamp-Dimmer = "60%" then Fan-Controller = "Low"
    - If Fan-Controller = "Low" then Lamp-Dimmer = "30%"
    - If Lamp-Dimmer = "Off" then Fan-Controller = "Off"
    - If Fan-Controller = "Off" then Lamp-Dimmer = "30%"

The Reson for the 30% thing is that after the fan controller goes to any of its 4 setting the lamp dimmer is set to an unused number so that the pico buttons will always work.... If you didn't do this and turned on the fan using an app the lamp dimmer would already be off... so if you hit the off switch it wouldn't do anything. Also its better to not match the lamp dimmer back to the fan setting or you will probably put your system in to a trigger processing loop... witch would not be good.

You could also use a second lamp dimmer for lights, and you would basically do it the same way. The only problem is that you would have 3 scenes for the light and off... no dim brighten control... So I chose to go the hue route, witch I wanted to do anyway.

If you want to use hue for the light. Just put the hue bulbs in your fan light, Link them to the Hue bridge. then you need to link the Lutron Zigbee remote to the hue bridge before linking it to each light bulb... this way you will have on/off/bright/dim controls... plus hue bulbs are cool. The Lutron Zigbee remote looks just like a 4 button pico remote and can be mounted the same way.

also once you have everything setup... you can unplug the lamp dimmer and put them away... they do not need to be plugged in for any of this to work.

it would be nice if Lutron would add Virtual devises so you would not need to buy lamp dimmer just to do automation.

Fan Switch and wired 3 way switches

It really would be nice if there was a fan / light switch for all 7 of my fan / lights. Also, I would prefer wired 3 way Caseta dimmer switches.

Lutron Technical Support
    If you'd like to have a wired 3-way dimmer, then use the PD-10NXD. It wires to a standard 3-way switch on the other side.

Quote Originally Posted by Brian W. View Post
    If you'd like to have a wired 3-way dimmer, then use the PD-10NXD. It wires to a standard 3-way switch on the other side.
    So I have multiple 3 way switches in my newly built home. You're saying I could put one of these in one of the two locations, and then leave the other switch wired the way it already is, and this would make it work with my Smart Bridge Pro? (Sorry, newbie to all this)

Hello NathanJax,
    Please review this document for the installation. The pro dimmer starts on page 25.
    http://www.casetawireless.com/Docume...ced%20Inst.pdf

I like this logic, but being new to both HomeKit and Caseta I am struggling with exactly where to enter this using "Home". Are you using another app that gives more grannular trigger control or coding? Or coding it elsewhere. Please provide additional information if you don't mind. Also utilizing all "100%" of the dimming settings (and your method) couldn't a single defined dimmer be used to control multiple fans?

Thanks!

Don't think I saw this in the thread yet, but they were so close... the in-wall switch, PD-6ANS-XX controls fans....on/off..... ugh.
    http://www.casetawireless.com/Documents/0301799.pdf
    -NinjaDogg

So, I believe I have found the answer to my own question...appreciate the replies and posts from others that have attempted to hit the mark on the question.

To be clear, I was inquiring about the logic that ajiuO entered a few posts up regarding control of an Insteon fan controller with a combination of Caseta Pico and lamp dimmer and Homekit triggers. I was struggling to find\see how to do that. I am now using the Hesperus application and see quite clearly how to do this (but have not yet done it, as I don't have the fan controller or Insteon hub) but testing with triggers based on % dimming. The Apple "Home" app does NOT allow you the same level of control\granularity on the trigger actions Hesperus does. If you are new\struggling with more advanced triggers I suggest checking this out instead of the built in Apple "Home" app. Any other suggestions (applications, trigger "tricks", hacks - like getting Picos to show up!) would be greatly appreciated!.

Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by Lynsy View Post
    I like this logic, but being new to both HomeKit and Caseta I am struggling with exactly where to enter this using "Home". Are you using another app that gives more grannular trigger control or coding? Or coding it elsewhere. Please provide additional information if you don't mind. Also utilizing all "100%" of the dimming settings (and your method) couldn't a single defined dimmer be used to control multiple fans?

Thanks!

The Lutron 4 button Pico remote would be great for a 3 speed fan control with an off setting for the bottom button. They would need to engrave different fan settings and set a transmit code for the Caseta Smart Bridge to recognize it as a fan. http://www.lutron.com/en-US/Products...elNumbers.aspx Still waiting on the wall unit.

I think Lutron is close to having what they need for a wall mount Caseta fan control. Start with the PD-5NE dimmer electronics. Hardwire it for MLV operation. Add some output protection circuitry for driving a fan load. Modify the low end adjustment range to reflect fan control. Change the start condition to always start at high then drop down to the desired setting (give the fan time to ramp up to the desired speed while driven at full power). Change the engraving and software to reflect fan operation.
    What am I missing?

Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast