Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Smart Bridge will not pass step 5 on the app "Press teh Button on your Smart Bridge"

Smart Bridge will not pass step 5 on the app "Press teh Button on your Smart Bridge"

I cant seem to get my phone to connect to my smart bridge. Please help!

Authorized Lutron Contributor
    Quote Originally Posted by mweldy1 View Post
    I cant seem to get my phone to connect to my smart bridge. Please help!
    mweldy1,

When pressing the button on your Smart Bridge, ensure you are quickly pressing and releasing the button. If you hold the button for longer than a 1/2 second you will receive an error.

If this does not resolve your issue then please email into systemsupport@lutron.com. Please reference this forum post when sending an email.

Same issue here -- at step 5 it just keeps telling me to push the button, and after a few minutes it says "Sorry, there was an issue. Please push the button on your Smart Bridge again." It's sticks in this loop over and over.

I called Lutron support and they had me reset the unit (press 3 times, hold, press 3 times.) After this, I couldn't get past step 4. The rep had me manually enter the IP address (which I could see by logging into my router.) This got me back to step 5, but once again, it just wouldn't go past this step. I also tried the "hold for 20 seconds" reset to reset the unit back to DHCP, after which step 4 game me a choice of two identical options to choose from, both of which said "Lutron" and showed some sort of serial number and mac address. I chose one of them, and end up getting stuck at step 5 once again.

I also tried a number of other things such as restarting the phone, clearing the data and cache from the Lutron app, power cycling the Smart Bridge (and phone), and other typical "computer" troubleshooting steps. At this point, it seems random whether or not I get stuck at step 4 or 5, but either way, it's not working. The Lutron rep told me to call back during different hours to speak with someone else.

mweldy1 -- did you ever resolve this? If so, how did you do it?

Thanks,

Larry

Just to update this, I called back during the normal hours and spoke with another rep who in turn spoke with an expert in Caseta systems. We still couldn't get past step 5, and now I always have to manually enter an address just to get past step 4. When I gave them the mac address they could see the modem from their side, but the unit continued to get stuck on step 5. They had me use the "help" button to send feedback (with some sort of log file), and I'm supposedly going to hear from them again tomorrow.

I'm really starting to become disappointed here. I'm now heading into my third day trying to get the Lutron Smart Bridge to work. I tried a "staples connect" hub, and while I wasn't entirely satisfied with the feature set in certain ways, it was very easy to install and it worked right away without any fuss. I paid a lot more for the Lutron unit thinking it would be a higher end product and therefore the most "trouble free," but my experience so far has been the opposite. This may just simply be a rare hardware issue with the hub, but if so, how many days is it going to be before I can try another one? I feel like it shouldn't take multiple days to troubleshoot a brand new product like this. I just want to get this working and move on.

Thanks again for any help,

Larry

Okay -- I figured it out, and got it working.

My Netgear WNDR3700 router offers both a "normal" wifi connection and what it calls a "guest" wifi connection (for both 2.4 and 5 GHz.) This simply means that users connected to the "guest" wifi will be isolated from the rest of the network so that they cannot access any of the other devices connected to the router. It's made so you can give people wifi access to the internet without giving them access to anything else on your network. It's actually a really useful feature because it eliminates having to do everything with "permissions" -- you simply give the "guest" password to people and they can only see the internet and nothing else.

Unfortunately, I was using the guest network for my phone's wifi connection, and this was preventing the Smart Bridge from working. When I connected my phone to the "regular" (i.e. non guest) wifi network, everything worked -- the Lutron app found the Smart Bridge at step 4, and step 5 worked right away.

Once everything was set up, I switched the phone back to a "guest" wifi connection and it continued to work. Apparently, the Smart Bridge only needs the "full" connection for the setup process. It's interesting that the Staples Connect Hub was able to be set up on the guest wifi connection -- it apparently uses a different setup procedure that does not require the extra access privileges.

Someone at Lutron may want to put this information in the installation notes somewhere in order to help other people avoid this situation. Netgear routers are fairly popular in my experience, and most of them that I've seen offer the "guest network" feature. People who run into this issue simply need to connect to the non-guest wifi connection and complete the setup, after which everything will work on a "guest" wifi connection.

Larry

Hey everyone. I had the eaxct same problem (the "Sorry, there was an issue. Please push the button on your Smart Bridge again." useless error message).

After doing the usual (reboot bridge, reboot tablet, reset bridge, re-install app, make sure I press less than 1/2 second, etc...), I tried the unusual (scanning open ports on the bridge, trying to SSHd, praying and burning scented candles). Nothing worked.

So I defaulted to the "it's not my fault" (which, to be honest, is very often the case) and decided that something went wrong with Lutron's server. I'm not sure exactly what went wrong, but using a new account with a different email address worked. Maybe my Lutron account got corrupted, maybe destiny just likes it to make me miserable, but in the end, creating a new account solved my problem.

So if you've tried the unusual, I'd say skip the unusual and try creating a new account. Worked for me.

I too am having this same issue - tried resetting device, tried app on both iOS and Android, tried using a different account - nothing is working. Anyone have any updates on this issue?

Thanks

Just an update - from calling support and web searching it looks like this bridge requires at least 5 ports open through your router and your ISP provider (which support said I needed to call). I tried just port forwarding the ports (80, 123, 443, 8883, and 7443) and also tried putting the device in my router's DMZ (temporarily) but these did not work. Lutron REALLY needs to fix this on their side of things. I have several devices from other vendors that just work out of the box (Dropcam, Nest, Rachio, etc...)

Simple But Often Overlooked Suggestion

Make sure your smartphone be it an iPhone or Android device has wifi enabled, is connected to your network and has airplane mode turned off. Trust me on this. You'll save yourself a bunch of time by just looking at the basics. I just spent an hour of frustration only to resolve my simple error by enabling wifi on my phone. Ha!!!

Any solution to this "Can Not Connect" issue? Just installed my first switch and bridge and not much fun yet.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast