Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Walk-around programming issues

Walk-around programming issues

Started to do walkaround programming of a RadioRA2 system with one (main) repeater, 3 (5-button) master wall controls, and several dimmers. Everything has been added to the system without issue. "Enter Program Mode" (page 15) does not work properly. The top button LED lights as normal but only the top two buttons are programmable. Press and release on the bottom 3 buttons does nothing. The other somewhat curious thing is the top two buttons have a soft green glow behind them and the bottom 3 buttons do not. Installation problem?

This house had a "classic" Radio RA system with scene programming and customized all on/all off programming. This system was completely replaced after a full remodel (fire/smoke damage). The new Radio RA 2 system seems to be lacking programmability around all on/off (does it even have this function available by walkaround programming on the 5 button wall controls)? All Off is the main reason we installed both the original Radio RA and the current RA2 system.

Thanks for any assistance.

re: All Off, I programmed the 2nd functioning button to join the two dimmers in the full off position, so it appears you can program the dimmers to a button in the "all off" position, so this suffices for "All Off" functionality. There's a minor irritation that the LED for that "all off" scene button is lit. "All Off" scene function with all LED's unlit would be better. Any way to accomplish this?

Not a very active forum I guess.

After talking to Lutron support they decided that the wall controls got "stuck" thinking they only had two buttons (due to some programming error on my part undoubtedly). Removing them from the system and re-adding/programming them fixed things.

There's no way to have "All On / All Off" (a la classic Radio RA) on the 5 button/raise/lower controls except by the method I describe above.

This forum is fairly active, but I think 99% of the people in here do not use walk around programming - any reason you aren't using the software?

Yes, two reasons: 1) I am the homeowner, not a certified installer, etc. I have a great electrician but he is not into the programming and doesn't want to deal with PC software interfaces. So he left it to me to do the walkaround programming. 2) It seems a lot to go to training, haul out a PC, find a crossover cable or adapter, just to program some 5 button wall controls. I most certainly don't want my lighting system hooked up to the internet.

If Lutron gave the ability to DIY this then I might have investigated the software route. But I realize (after talking to some certified installers in my area) that this is a value add for the installers so Lutron is trying to protect their value chain. While as an end user I don't particularly like this, it's easy to see why Lutron has it set up this way.

I'm a homeowner too, and I did all the work myself. The certification process was pretty easy - its all online, and free. You watch some videos, then take a test at the end. Probably 3-4 hours of time. Then you can download the software and program everything easily. You can connect the main repeater to your network (I use an apple airport express) just for activation and programming, and then disconnect it, if you are concerned about having it connected to the internet...

Interesting I did not realize this. The installer I talked to made it sound like only Lutron certified resellers could do this. I will look into this.

Nice to have multiple tools in your belt, walkaround and software.

- - - Updated - - -

Interesting I did not realize this. The installer I talked to made it sound like only Lutron certified resellers could do this. I will look into this.

Nice to have multiple tools in your belt, walkaround and software.