Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Controlling switched outlets.....

Controlling switched outlets.....

I currently have an old school manual switch that controls two outlets. We have two bedside lamps plugged into those outlets for lower level light. Can the RRD-8ANS be used to control this setup? I also haven't checked to see if there is a neutral yet, which then I assume would change the device to another model, that number escapes me right now.

p.s. not sure what happened to the font while typing, tried to paste a model number and it changed the font.

Erik

I think I found the other part number, RRD-8s-dv

Ekkoville - Depends on the load in the lamps. You should be able to use the recently introduced RRD-6CL which will accommodate LED bulbs in the lamps, or incandescents.

Thanks for the response. Can the RRD-6CL be set to switched or non-dimming mode in the software? I know some can do that.

Quote Originally Posted by Ekkoville View Post
    Thanks for the response. Can the RRD-6CL be set to switched or non-dimming mode in the software? I know some can do that.
    I'm not aware of any RA2 devices that can be set this way in software. You can set the rate to turn on and fade off, but that can be overridden at the switch. At least that's my experience.

Authorized Lutron Contributor
    By code you cannot have a dimmer control an outlet unless the outlet is a dimmable. For this application we would recommend installing a keypad at the switch location and the wiring the outlets to be constantly hot. Then use the lamp modules to control the lamps and have the keypad programmed to turn the lamps on and off. This also give you the ability to turn the lamps on and off independently.
    y.

Craig - While i hadn't appreciated the code aspect, i'm not sure i understand the comment "...unless the outlet is dimmable". Can you expand on this? Thanks

There are special receptacles where only a special plug can fit into the dimmed receptacle. You put a new plug ont he end of your lamp, and that way only the lamp can be plugged into the outlet...

see more here: http://files.lutron.com/hwi/TRG/366-...eceptacles.pdf

I've used these Receptacles and Plugs for Dimming Use before with good success. The downside is you have to re-wire the lamps.

My recommendation is to get two of the plug-in lamp dimmers and replace the old school switch with a Pico to turn all lamps on and off with individual control at the bedside. You could have options to hide the plug-in module(s) and have Picos at the bedside that do any config of one/both on off/dim

Quote Originally Posted by schalliol View Post
    I've used these Receptacles and Plugs for Dimming Use before with good success. The downside is you have to re-wire the lamps.

My recommendation is to get two of the plug-in lamp dimmers and replace the old school switch with a Pico to turn all lamps on and off with individual control at the bedside. You could have options to hide the plug-in module(s) and have Picos at the bedside that do any config of one/both on off/dim
    Another option would be to put a keypad where the switch was.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast