Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  1
Dislikes Dislikes:  0

Thread: Why Do Some LEDs Work With Dimmers and Others Don't?

Pete F.

Why Do Some LEDs Work With Dimmers and Others Don't?

As of now, there is no industry standard with LEDs. Since they are all manufactured differently, they will all react differently to the dimming signals that our controls create resulting in varying performance. With this information in mind, Lutron engineers do extensive compatibility testing with LEDs on our controls. We take the guess work out of buying LEDs. We have our Compatible Bulb List as well as our LED Product Selection Tool to help customers choose the right LED. For more detailed information on those resources, please go to the Compatibility and/or Best Practices section.

2. Likes Justin F. liked this post
    Thanks for sharing..

I don't know if Lutron really pays attention to what folks say in here, I hope they do, because my system was "recommended" by a landscape lighting installer, and so far I am in about $1500 but I have to have a parallel system to run the LEDs. So, my set of string lights previously dimmed with a remote controlled plugin adapter from Amazon, I think it cost like 8 dollars. The $250 plugin adapter from Lutron would not dim, so I went back to the manual control. For string lights, it's just not realistic that I find bulbs from your list and what, climb a tree and replace 40 bulbs? Home automation is in a revolution right now, and Lutron just seems to be falling behind in functionality, but leading the way in high prices.
    Quote Originally Posted by Pete F. View Post
    As of now, there is no industry standard with LEDs. Since they are all manufactured differently, they will all react differently to the dimming signals that our controls create resulting in varying performance. With this information in mind, Lutron engineers do extensive compatibility testing with LEDs on our controls. We take the guess work out of buying LEDs. We have our Compatible Bulb List as well as our LED Product Selection Tool to help customers choose the right LED. For more detailed information on those resources, please go to the Compatibility and/or Best Practices section.

Authorized Lutron Contributor
    Hello thundercow,Thank you for your post! I can assure you that we do in fact pay attention to our customer feedback and look forward to assisting our customers with their lighting applications. We do apologize that you are having issues with the system you were recommended by the landscape lighting installer. Based on the information provided regarding the remote controlled plugin adapter from amazon working where the Lutron components did not, it sounds potentially like LED incompatibility you are dealing with. Unfortunately, there is very little industry standardization at the moment for how LED's are being manufactured and unfortunately they dim differently from one LED to the next. For assistance with troubleshooting the application you are having issues with, we would recommend calling in to our 24/7 technical support line @ 1-888-LUTRON1 (588-7661) or emailing in to Support@Lutron.com Additionally, we do offer an online tool to assist in generating a list of compatible LED lamps for you Lutron dimming controls @ www.Lutron.com/LEDFinderHope this info helps! -JustinF.

There are no industry standards for the manufacture of LEDs. There are hundreds, if not thousands, of manufacturers. Products vary greatly between manufacturers and even with a manufacturers own product line. A 60w LED may have a completely different driver than a 40w LED from the same manufacturer.

There are no industry standards for designating and LED as dimmable. Manufacturers don't have to test their bulbs, they can just call them dimmable. They say they are dimmable "with most incandescent dimmers." Dimmers from before the LED era rarely work with LEDs.

There is an organization trying to establish standards. It's so bloated I wouldn't expect any results in this century.

FWIW, always use a neutral device when controlling LEDs. Even if it is just on/off control.
    Convergence Technologies Raleigh, North Carolina
    www.convergenceusa.com