Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Good BR30 >65W Equivalent?

Thanks! A request then: Please report the dimmers used that did not pass, as it is unclear whether the control failed or simply was not tested. In the example of the LED12BR30D41K, it seems everything from Lutron passed with flying colors and I'd be wiling to try it if I know it simply wasn't tested. If it failed, of course that would be good to know as well.

Just thought I would chime in here - In my experience - if the part number is not EXACTLY AS WRITTEN on the Lutron list, don't install it. I was involved in a job where the electrical contractor decided to change the fixture at the last minute (because they were cheaper). After replacing numerous dimmers, we discovered that the lamp was approved but for a different wattage and base type. Stress this with your electrical contractors and lighting designers as sometimes if it says "dimmable" that it will work.

When you use the lamps and fixtures on that report card you're doing everyone a favor!

Long live LED's!

I also helps if Lutron tests everything they have, and Lutron, please let people know if you've tested a failure! It seems strange a 6NA wouldn't work in some cases and it probably does.

That is a brilliant idea! I've never really thought about it until you mentioned it. There have been times where I'd like to know if there are certain manufactures to stay away from… I think that would be a good way to do that. Lutron LED gurus… Any thoughts?

The LED12BR30D30K works with RRD-6NAs, and actually, it seems to work as well with two of them on a RRD-6D! I haven't noticed any issues at all with the 6D. It is important to use the low trim setting with he 6ND settings shown in the Lutron guide in the software however.

Can you use a PAR30 instead of a BR30? I believe there are more PAR lamps out there.

I don't think I could use a PAR30, but this TCP LED12BR30D30K is awesome, and I shouldn't have replaced a bunch of 6Ds with 6NAs for it. A 6D operates a pair of these amazingly well, but a single unit doesn't dim well (as expected).

Okay, I've tested these LED12BR30D30K with 6NA and 6CL. The 6CL does work better, and I've found sometimes dimming the 6NA will result in some pulsation with 2 of these bulbs in use. What's interesting to me is that two of the bulbs together are below the low rating for the 6CL (requiring a 10ND or 6NA) but if you trick the software in thinking the load is higher, the 6CL can be selected and works perfectly.

The other observation I have with the 6NA is that the dimming range is full but the LEDs on the dimmer don't show as such. Basically there's 100% brightness from 40% +, so you spend your time in the lower range if you want to dim.

Assuming you're using the BR30s in overhead cans, I've bought a few of these LED can retrofit kits. They're not so much a bulb, as a fitting that attaches to a conventional can, and looks like a finished light disc, more than just a bulb in a hole (and the cheap cans my builder used result in all the bulbs being crooked anyway). They install like a bulb though, with a wire that goes to a threaded adapter for the bulb socket.

Anyway, I'm using the 19W Torchstar ones sold on Amazon. They're 20 bucks, a 6CL can dim just a single fixture if required, and at 1200 lumens, it is ludicrously bright. Super happy with them, and plan to get some more. They seem to dim pretty nicely across the range though (although I've only got them in a few test locations where they mainly run 100% anyway, so I haven't paid too much attention).

Sounds like a great setup. I've installed Cree CR4s outside very nicely, but I found it hard to beat the bulb variety for what was then half price of the "discs" and 10 seconds of installation each (about $14/ea.) Yours at $20 could be a really nice way to go!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast