Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Discovering what has been added to Main Repeater

Discovering what has been added to Main Repeater

Friends, I just passed my Lutron RRa2 test and want to begin programming the RRa2 devices that my electrician installed. He is not RRa2 certified (only RRa1) and has left me, the home-owner, in a bit of a mess, as some of the keypads do nothing and others at least will light all the associated fixtures.
    So, HOW CAN I TELL IF A DEVICE HAS BEEN ADDED TO THE MAIN REPEATER? The electrician was to add them all, but did not.
    And, after all devices have been added, but NOT yet programmed, what might I expect that the various keypads would do?
    Thanks very much,
    ~~~Richard___ Santa Cruz, CA

Hi there,

I just went through the same scenario with my client; someone else installed it, but it wasn't programmed properly. You need the "Inclusive" software to extract the existing setup; I only have access to "Essentials", so I had to start from scratch. I reset all devices to "factory default", updated the main repeater firmware, and then went through the whole process (design, program, activate, transfer) to create a project file that I could refer to, and be able to edit and change the programming.
    This was the first time I needed to fix someone else's project, so I never thought I would need to upgrade to "Inclusive" (all my projects so far have been less than 50 devices). I guess I'll look into upgrading now.

Thanks for the response. I guess I have my work cut out for me.
    I'm wondering if I need to remove switch plate covers to determine what dimmers are installed if the electrician is unsure. I will have to enter correct info. into the software if I expect to program it correctly. Can you see the model numbers by just removing the faceplate? I sure hope I don't have to remove the dimmers.
    ~~~Richard___ Santa Cruz, CA

Yes, you will have to remove the dimmers and keypads to get the model/part no.'s. If you have a lot of them, once you get a couple out and they are the same no.'s, you could assume that they're the same; but I removed them all and caught two in my installation that were not the same (they were RRD-10NDWH, unlike the rest which were RRD-6NAWH) because I did remove them all. I also ended replacing two of the existing 6NA's with 10ND's due to overloading of the dimmers (600W loads, but the dimmers were ganged in groups of 5, which derates the 6NA's to 300W and the 10ND's to 500W in middle of gang; I installed the 10NA's at the ends, which gives you a derated load of 600W). You don't have to take the screws right out; just back them out enough to pull out each dimmer to read the label on the side.
    Regarding the question about the keypads in your first post, if all the keypads are added but not yet programmed, they won't do anything. When programming, remember to consider whether the button will be "single/multi-scene" or just "toggle/room monitoring"; it makes a difference.