Thanks Thanks:  1
Likes Likes:  2
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Goodnight scene/button close garage doors if open?

Goodnight scene/button close garage doors if open?

can one program the system to see if the garage doors are open and if they are close them with the VCRX?

Have a client and he seems to leave the door open often and asked if we could close them on a goodnight button press from a keypad.

We will be using a VCRX to control the opening/closing from the visor remote already, didn't know if we could check to see if open and if so, close them.

Thanks

You can't program that directly, but I can think of a couple of ways to accomplish that.

1) 3rd party automation software (e.g. CQC)
    2) Use a low voltage relay hooked up to a garage door sensor. Have the relay closed only when the garage door is open. Then, use another output on the VCRX to also control the garage door opener, and have that run through the relay. That way, if the garage door is open, the relay is closed, and the goodnight command will close the circuit on the garage door opener, closing the garage door. Conversely, if the garage door is already closed, then the relay will be open, and the circuit will not close on the garage door opener.

The only issue with #2 is that you will need a fair amount of stuff in the garage - a LV power supply, garage door sensor, a relay, and two sets of wires from the VCRX to the opener...

We Have an RTI system installed in the house now, so maybe use that to check the state of the CCI? then issue the command based on that state.

Thanks rapamatic for your help

Quote Originally Posted by Glackowitz View Post
    We Have an RTI system installed in the house now, so maybe use that to check the state of the CCI? then issue the command based on that state.

Thanks rapamatic for your help
    We've done this by programming 1 of the CCO's to close on your "goodnight" scene, wire that through a limit switch on the door. Wire that back into an unused input (CCI) on the VCRX set to close the door. The Scene will go off every night, if the door is open the signal will pass through the limit switch, trigger the programmed CCO for that door and close it. If the door is closed it won't be received and the door will stay closed. If you have more available inputs you could use the same switch to trigger a lamp or virtual load so they would get some kind of visual feed back in the app or a keypad. I think the VCRX is still not "visible" itself in the app unless they changed it recently (otherwise you could see the input indicator on the VCRX).

This isn't fool proof though, if something is blocking the sensor (or other reason) it will re-open and they may not know (no visual feedback).

FWIW, we threw a LRF2 ceiling sensor in the circuit also, so anytime there was no motion for a given time it would try to close as well.

Also have used similar CCO/CCI wiring to trigger the Alarm input from a keypad. For some reason you cannot just program a keypad button to do that. So our work around for a customer that wanted a "panic" button was to do virtually the same thing, jumper across the CCO to CCI (alarm) and program accordingly.

5. Likes Kevin P. liked this post
    Authorized Lutron Contributor
    We have a similar thread that may also help with this situation:

https://forums.lutron.com/showthread...e-Door-Control

This thread also has some sample project files.

I cannot post a link here but I have a description and control schematic in pdf if you'd like a copy, send me a message with yourClick image for larger version. 

Name:	VCRX-LRF2-Garage-monitor.jpg 
Views:	141 
Size:	71.8 KB 
ID:	245 info

Sorry to resurrect an old thread but I need a little help. I'm trying to monitor and control my two garage doors with my VCRX. For a while now, I've had Output 1 triggering Garage Door 1 and Output 2 triggering Garage Door 2. That works fine.

Today I decided to add monitoring, I tried to follow this thread and the thread referenced in post #5 above. But, I might have messed up.

For limit switches, I bought two of these Potter-Amseco reed switches. https://www.amazon.com/Potter-Amseco.../dp/B000GUSNQW
    I bought them based on yet another thread in this forum: (https://forums.lutron.com/showthread...or-Lock-signal)
    Although it is not immediately apparent, these reed switches are normally open switches.

I followed the wiring diagram from post #6 above and the programming set forth in the thread referenced in post 5.

Things on the phantom buttons I have programmed to monitor and open/close the doors aren't quite right. If I use the buttons themselves everything seems to work: The buttons are "on" (illuminated) when the doors are closed and "off" (dark) when I trigger the doors to open. If instead of using the phantom button, I use the garage door opener remote (or the wall switch) the phantom buttons will go from "on" (illuminated") to "off" when the remote or wall switch is used to open the door. However, when I use the remote or wall switch to close the door, the phantom button never goes back to the "on" state. I have to manually change the state.

Is this because I used the wrong kind of limit switch (normally open instead of normally closed)? The diagram above seems to be calling for a normally closed switch. If so, can I simply change the programming in the RA2 software or do I need to swap out the limit switches? I guess a third possibility is that something else is amiss.

Thanks in advance for your help.

Quote Originally Posted by SHPLights View Post
    Sorry to resurrect an old thread but I need a little help. I'm trying to monitor and control my two garage doors with my VCRX. For a while now, I've had Output 1 triggering Garage Door 1 and Output 2 triggering Garage Door 2. That works fine.

Today I decided to add monitoring, I tried to follow this thread and the thread referenced in post #5 above. But, I might have messed up.

For limit switches, I bought two of these Potter-Amseco reed switches. https://www.amazon.com/Potter-Amseco.../dp/B000GUSNQW
    I bought them based on yet another thread in this forum: (https://forums.lutron.com/showthread...or-Lock-signal)
    Although it is not immediately apparent, these reed switches are normally open switches.

I followed the wiring diagram from post #6 above and the programming set forth in the thread referenced in post 5.

Things on the phantom buttons I have programmed to monitor and open/close the doors aren't quite right. If I use the buttons themselves everything seems to work: The buttons are "on" (illuminated) when the doors are closed and "off" (dark) when I trigger the doors to open. If instead of using the phantom button, I use the garage door opener remote (or the wall switch) the phantom buttons will go from "on" (illuminated") to "off" when the remote or wall switch is used to open the door. However, when I use the remote or wall switch to close the door, the phantom button never goes back to the "on" state. I have to manually change the state.

Is this because I used the wrong kind of limit switch (normally open instead of normally closed)? The diagram above seems to be calling for a normally closed switch. If so, can I simply change the programming in the RA2 software or do I need to swap out the limit switches? I guess a third possibility is that something else is amiss.

Thanks in advance for your help.
    No problem, we're here to help. Let's see if I cannot get you working smoothly. For this example it should be understood we are doing door monitoring only, and we're using 2 garage doors. Door Opening and Closing is handled via pulsed output of CCO1 (door1) and CCO2 (door2), as you stated this is working fine and we're not going to touch it.

Let's just start from scratch and disregard the different threads you're pulling info from. They were written by 2 different people. There are multiple ways we can do this and this is just my idea.

OK so to use your Closed Loop, Normally Open door contact as a door monitoring switch you have to realize the VCRX has no idea what you are doing and we have to tell it how to respond to the inputs and outputs (CCI & CCO). (By the way, this isn't a bad way to do it. You ideally want to monitor the door in a closed position rather than an upper limit. This way if it's not 100% physically closed the system will think its open. In case you stopped the door 1/2 way or something.)

In the Design Tab you should have:
    1) At least 1 Main Repeater
    2) VCRX
    3) Some sort of Tabletop or Wall Keypad (no pico's, they don't have status)
    4) Something to turn on to actually monitor. I recommend a Virtual Switch For each Garage door we wish to monitor (Virtual Switch only exists in the programming, counts against your total device count and will error on activation and program transfer. Set them up and program them as if they did exist)

In the Program Tab, program the VCRX
    1) Select the VCRX and the 1st Input in the left pane and button label it "Door1 Open", if you are doing 2 doors label the second input "Door2 Open" ~~~or something relevant to you
    2) With the top input still selected (Door1 Open), for "Input Reacts on" Select "Maintained". (Do the same for Door2 if applicable)
    3) For "Input Action" Select "Open" (because we are using the Normally open, closed loop alarm door contact) [if you have an NC contact/switch select "Close"] (Do the same for Door2 if applicable)
    4) Now for this to do anything we need to program it to (pretend) turn on a light. So we are using a virtual switch in this case Call it "Garage Door1" and place it in the garage or equipment room. With the top input still selected, choose the virtual switch in the appropriate selected room and set it to "On". (Do the same for Door2 if applicable)

Now when the garage door is opened the closed loop (normally open) alarm switch opens and the Virtual Switch turns "On". When the door closes, the switch closes and the Virtual Switch is off. This virtual switch is what we are actually monitoring. We need the input to do something that corresponded to a scene so we can get a status light to show up on a keypad.

In the Program tab, program the monitoring button(s).
    1) Select a button on a keypad you want to use as a monitor(or create a virtual one if you only want to operate from your tablet or smartphone). Label it "Door1 Open".(Do the same for Door2 if applicable)
    2) Choose the virtual switch your created as "Garage Door 1" in the appropriate selected room and set it to "On". (Do the same for Door2 if applicable)
    3) Button Type: Set it to Scene. If you actually press this button it will turn on the virtual switch and status LED even though the door may be physically closed. It's just following directions. It may get out of wack and you'll have to cycle the door to get it back on track. (Sorry it's not fool proof)Save and transfer that to your system. Again it will error on un-activated switches and transfer will fail to those devices because they don't exist physically, but it will work.

So what you have then is a "look-but-don't-touch" monitoring button(s) to look at for status and another button programmed to cycle the door via the CCO(s). If the status (scene) light is on, the door should be open. Don't press it, push the button you chose to operate the door.

I can think of a few other ways to do this, but his is likely the most simple and reliable if you can keep from touching the monitored buttons.

Preferably I like a more positive action of just setting a timer say at 8pm to pulse an unused CCO wired through(in series) a normally closed (when door is physically open) switch. Send that back to an unused input programmed to pulse the output the door is actually wired to. So at 8pm signal pulses out of CCO4 through limit switch, if the door is open(switch closed), and hits a CCI programmed to pulse CCO1 the door button is actually connected to. If the door is already closed the signal never passes through the limit switch. Take it a step further and set it to happen every hour you want or sooner. 8pm, try again at 9pm, 10pm, etc...

Remember operating a door blindly can be dangerous and could cause damage and injury. Make sure to test all you safety's regularly.

Sorry, my edit time had expired I forgot to mention the switch wiring.

Simply Wire the two wires from the reed switch to input Terminal "1" and "C" respectively. Color or polarity should matter for this. If you are doing 2 door, wire the other to input terminal "2" and share the "C" (common) terminal.

Quote Originally Posted by paulhanks View Post
    No problem, we're here to help. Let's see if I cannot get you working smoothly. For this example it should be understood we are doing door monitoring only, and we're using 2 garage doors. Door Opening and Closing is handled via pulsed output of CCO1 (door1) and CCO2 (door2), as you stated this is working fine and we're not going to touch it.

Let's just start from scratch and disregard the different threads you're pulling info from. They were written by 2 different people. There are multiple ways we can do this and this is just my idea.

OK so to use your Closed Loop, Normally Open door contact as a door monitoring switch you have to realize the VCRX has no idea what you are doing and we have to tell it how to respond to the inputs and outputs (CCI & CCO). (By the way, this isn't a bad way to do it. You ideally want to monitor the door in a closed position rather than an upper limit. This way if it's not 100% physically closed the system will think its open. In case you stopped the door 1/2 way or something.)

In the Design Tab you should have:
    1) At least 1 Main Repeater
    2) VCRX
    3) Some sort of Tabletop or Wall Keypad (no pico's, they don't have status)
    4) Something to turn on to actually monitor. I recommend a Virtual Switch For each Garage door we wish to monitor (Virtual Switch only exists in the programming, counts against your total device count and will error on activation and program transfer. Set them up and program them as if they did exist)

In the Program Tab, program the VCRX
    1) Select the VCRX and the 1st Input in the left pane and button label it "Door1 Open", if you are doing 2 doors label the second input "Door2 Open" ~~~or something relevant to you
    2) With the top input still selected (Door1 Open), for "Input Reacts on" Select "Maintained". (Do the same for Door2 if applicable)
    3) For "Input Action" Select "Open" (because we are using the Normally open, closed loop alarm door contact) [if you have an NC contact/switch select "Close"] (Do the same for Door2 if applicable)
    4) Now for this to do anything we need to program it to (pretend) turn on a light. So we are using a virtual switch in this case Call it "Garage Door1" and place it in the garage or equipment room. With the top input still selected, choose the virtual switch in the appropriate selected room and set it to "On". (Do the same for Door2 if applicable)

Now when the garage door is opened the closed loop (normally open) alarm switch opens and the Virtual Switch turns "On". When the door closes, the switch closes and the Virtual Switch is off. This virtual switch is what we are actually monitoring. We need the input to do something that corresponded to a scene so we can get a status light to show up on a keypad.

In the Program tab, program the monitoring button(s).
    1) Select a button on a keypad you want to use as a monitor(or create a virtual one if you only want to operate from your tablet or smartphone). Label it "Door1 Open".(Do the same for Door2 if applicable)
    2) Choose the virtual switch your created as "Garage Door 1" in the appropriate selected room and set it to "On". (Do the same for Door2 if applicable)
    3) Button Type: Set it to Scene. If you actually press this button it will turn on the virtual switch and status LED even though the door may be physically closed. It's just following directions. It may get out of wack and you'll have to cycle the door to get it back on track. (Sorry it's not fool proof)Save and transfer that to your system. Again it will error on un-activated switches and transfer will fail to those devices because they don't exist physically, but it will work.

So what you have then is a "look-but-don't-touch" monitoring button(s) to look at for status and another button programmed to cycle the door via the CCO(s). If the status (scene) light is on, the door should be open. Don't press it, push the button you chose to operate the door.

I can think of a few other ways to do this, but his is likely the most simple and reliable if you can keep from touching the monitored buttons.

Preferably I like a more positive action of just setting a timer say at 8pm to pulse an unused CCO wired through(in series) a normally closed (when door is physically open) switch. Send that back to an unused input programmed to pulse the output the door is actually wired to. So at 8pm signal pulses out of CCO4 through limit switch, if the door is open(switch closed), and hits a CCI programmed to pulse CCO1 the door button is actually connected to. If the door is already closed the signal never passes through the limit switch. Take it a step further and set it to happen every hour you want or sooner. 8pm, try again at 9pm, 10pm, etc...

Remember operating a door blindly can be dangerous and could cause damage and injury. Make sure to test all you safety's regularly.
    Wow, Paul! Thanks. I'm going to try this.

Right now, I've currently got it wired and programmed a little differently. (In mine, I guess I'm using Outputs 3 and 4 like the virtual monitoring switch you suggest. But that also changes the wiring. Right now the NO wire from each reed switch is wired to a VCRX Input (1 and 2) BUT Commons on the reed switches are wired to Outputs 3 and 4.) I'm going to change to what you recommend.

One question. I was fooling around with the input programming before I saw this and it seems that under "Select input action to program" I can program what the input does BOTH on Open and on Close. In your scenario I know I should select Open and have it turn on the Virtual Switch. But, do I also program what the input does on Close (e.g. to turn the switch off?)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast