Thanks Thanks:  1
Likes Likes:  2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Goodnight scene/button close garage doors if open?

FYI - I programmed some software to monitor this - I used Indigo, but I'm not sure if I want to keep it running. Its a simple paradigm - it monitors the RR2 system, and I setup monitors for garage door opens and closes. Indigo can perform conditional logic, unlike RR2 or the RadioRA software.

Quote Originally Posted by SHPLights View Post
    One question. I was fooling around with the input programming before I saw this and it seems that under "Select input action to program" I can program what the input does BOTH on Open and on Close. In your scenario I know I should select Open and have it turn on the Virtual Switch. But, do I also program what the input does on Close (e.g. to turn the switch off?)
    Good question. Yes. I missed that in the steps above. When you chose "Input Action to Program" you should select "Open" to and select the virtual Switch(s) to turn "On". Then Select "Close" and adjust the same switch to "Off". You could also add other dimmers, switches and/or VCRX outputs to either action or both.

UPDATE: Eurika! It works. My problem was definitely the wiring. (I assume that because I had the reed switches physically wired through VCRX Outputs, it was screwing with things.)

For others out there I followed Paul's programming with a couple of modifications. Here's what I did:

The two reed switches (for Door 1 and Door 2) are wired to Inputs 1 and 2 respectively. The Commons for both switches are in the shared Common port (#4).

I did NOT create virtual switches as Paul suggests. Instead, under the Programming tab for the VCRX for Input Action to Program, I programmed Input 1 to close Output 3 when open and to open Output 3 when closed. (I did the same for Input 2 with respect to Output 4). I did it this because I know I am not going to use Output 3 or 4 and it seemed less messy. (If I ever decide to use Outputs 3 or 4, I'll move the programming of the inputs over to virtual switches as Paul suggests.)

Under the Design Tab, I created a virtual 5 button keypad. Button 1 is labeled "Dr1 is Open" and is programmed to Output 3 when closed. Button 2 right below it, is labeled "Open/Close" and pulses Output 1 - which is wired to Door 1. I left Button 3 blank in order to create a visual "break". Buttons 4 and 5 are programmed the same as 1 and 2 but for Door 2.

Now when Door 1 (or 2) is opened -- whether by the virtual keypad button, the physical button on the wall or a remote in the car, the circuit for the reed switch is opened. This act closes Output 3 (or 4) and lights up the LED on the Button 1 or 4 (the "Dr1 is Open" and "Door 2 is Open" buttons) on the virtual keypad. Actually, since my Keypad is a virtual one, an LED doesn't come on. Instead the button becomes outlined in blue. But, the idea is the same.

When Door 1 (or 2) is closed - by whatever means - the monitoring LED/Outlining is turned off when the door is fully closed.

I've told my wife not to push the "Dr# is Open" monitoring buttons (1 and 4) but only use the "Open/Close" buttons.

At the end of the day, it's slightly clunky but i think I understand why I cannot combine buttons 1 and 2 (and 4 and 5). On the other hand, I do have a Leviton OmniPro system and I believe I can program some good conditional programming (e.g. trigger the open/close buttons at 11 pm IF the "Dr# is Open" buttons are on.)

Big thanks to Paul for your help.

BTW: This means that you can definitely use the reed switches I listed in my post (which another poster recommended). They're well made and relatively inexpensive ($24 for two).

Good luck

4. Thanks dvpvic thanked for this post
    Likes dvpvic liked this post
    Wow thanks guys. Was looking for a way to do this for a bit. I have an older lift master so I can just tap into the NO contact on garage door button. Though if lutron ever does add home kit to RR2 then myQ just released a home kit compatible door opener device that would work great if tied into RR2.

...I've told my wife not to push the "Dr# is Open" monitoring buttons (1 and 4) but only use the "Open/Close" buttons. ...
    You could mess around with the door monitor button also pulsing the the output for the door. It should work, but since the pulse doesn't distinctly open or close and there are other ways to open/close the door (in this case you should use path or toggle button type) it could get out of sync. Cycling the door should correct it, but you may end up running your door more often and get frustrated.

Quote Originally Posted by paulhanks View Post
    You could mess around with the door monitor button also pulsing the the output for the door. It should work, but since the pulse doesn't distinctly open or close and there are other ways to open/close the door (in this case you should use path or toggle button type) it could get out of sync. Cycling the door should correct it, but you may end up running your door more often and get frustrated.
    I may indeed fool around with it. Some threads on this topic seem to say that the system should only get out of sync if the door stops halfway or something. I suppose it depends on exactly what the button push does. If I've got both the monitoring CCO and the pulse CCO together on the same virtual button and pushing that button not only pulses the door but also changes the state of the CCO (regardless of what the CCI is telling it) -- then it would easily get out of sync.

I sure wish Lutron would make this easier for us poor slobs and create a special button. It seems such an obvious feature. (I half wonder whether the reason they haven't done so is because of perceived liability issues relating to remotely opening/closing doors.)

I sure wish Lutron would make this easier for us poor slobs and create a special button. It seems such an obvious feature. (I half wonder whether the reason they haven't done so is because of perceived liability issues relating to remotely opening/closing doors.)
    Bingo. Safety/liability is a big deal. No way to check if you are damaging something or harming someone. They have a better safe and sorry mentality. Typically when RA dimmers fail, they fail and turn lights ON. Why? You can sleep with the lights on, but escaping in the dark is a lot more dangerous. I used to joke the only thing that might rival Lutron's number of engineers is their number of lawyers...
    Simple automation when DIY isn't working
    intuitivehomecontrols@gmail.com
    fb.me/intuitivehomecontrols

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12