Thanks Thanks:  1
Likes Likes:  3
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Maestro occupancy dimmer doesn't turn off LED bulb.

I am late joining this debate. I have Litetouch dimmers, and installed 9 Philips LED lamps on one dimmed circuit. When I switched the circuit on, all LEDs came on and dimmed properly. When I switched the circuit off, one of the 9 lamps remained lit, extremely dimmed. I then took one Philips LED out, replaced it with a traditional incandescent, and everything worked fine.

It would appear that even in its off position, the dimmer passes some current through the circuit, sufficient to low-light at least one LED (randomly). With one incandescent in the circuit, it appears the low current passes through the incandescent lamp, but cannot light it, because its resistance is too high.

Can the whole problem not be solved by installing a small resistor in the circuit, which does what the incandescent lamp does for me.

Comments? Specific suggestions?

Would it be possible to use a LUT-MLC in 1 of the fixtures to get rid of the faint glow? Like the previous post suggesting a resistor or 1 incandescent. Does anybody know if this would work?

cabethesda- The LUT-MLC is the "shunt capacitor" that Lutron sends only with the switch. When I called Tech, they did not recommend it for dimmers.
    Simple automation when DIY isn't working
    intuitivehomecontrols@gmail.com
    fb.me/intuitivehomecontrols

I have the same problem with Philips 9290002706 which is listed as compatible (A19 SlimStyle, Daylight, 5000K, 450 Lumen, E26, 40W equivalent)
    What's the solution then?

ps: BTW, the same happens also with 9290002709 (A19 SlimStyle, Daylight, 5000K, 450 Lumen, E26, 60W equivalent)

Quote Originally Posted by gleudson View Post
    I have the same problem with Philips 9290002706 which is listed as compatible (A19 SlimStyle, Daylight, 5000K, 450 Lumen, E26, 40W equivalent)
    What's the solution then?

ps: BTW, the same happens also with 9290002709 (A19 SlimStyle, Daylight, 5000K, 800 Lumen, E26, 60W equivalent)
    Anybody from Lutron to comment?

Pete F.?

Dimmer

Anybody from Lutron to comment?

Pete F.?
    Really? That is the reason? i have to agree, this is lame. Returning product. Guess got to go with analog dimmer.

I was also in the same problem as the Bracket is now. As per my experience actually MSCL-OP153M always needs power as it is a digital control even in the off state. Always a small amount of electrical current flows through the circuit.
    in some cases some LEDs react to this by not turning completely off. During compatibility testing, that is one of the test criteria that we look for and, if an LED doesn't turn completely off, it would typically not pass our testing and be listed as compatible.

List it on the BOX

Quote Originally Posted by BetteDuke View Post
    I was also in the same problem as the Bracket is now. As per my experience actually MSCL-OP153M always needs power as it is a digital control even in the off state. Always a small amount of electrical current flows through the circuit.
    in some cases some LEDs react to this by not turning completely off. During compatibility testing, that is one of the test criteria that we look for and, if an LED doesn't turn completely off, it would typically not pass our testing and be listed as compatible.
    Then it should be listed on the box to check compatibly before buying, rather than having some general compatibility note...

I have the same problem with Philips 9290002706 which is listed as compatible (A19 SlimStyle, Daylight, 5000K, 450 Lumen, E26, 40W equivalent) What's the solution then? ps: BTW, the same happens also with 9290002709 (A19 SlimStyle, Daylight, 5000K, 450 Lumen, E26, 60W equivalent)
    I just stumbled on this after installing several Lutron Caseta Dimmers for use with my Amazon Echo. Same issue with all of them. Lights will only dim and not turn off. I've adjusted the lowend settings per the instructions. Nowhere on the box does it indicate you need "special" bulbs. I wish I tested one before installing them all (my fault). I assumed after the first one wouldn't turn off all the way, that it just required an adjustment and I moved on. Just finished ripping them all out and I will return them tomorrow. The excuses here make no sense to me. I understand the need to have power for them to work, but why must you output that power to the bulb? I assume it's because you don't use a neutral wire that you need the power to actually flow to the light. Build a better circuit. Require a Neutral if you must. This is just poor design plain and simple.

That works! Not perfect but works.

Quote Originally Posted by duke_snyder View Post
    I had same problem and the quick fix for me was keeping (1) regular bulb in the dim chain. So I had 5 LED's and 1 incandescent bulb and the flicker stopped instantly. Down side is one bulb is slightly off color.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast