Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0

Thread: LogMeIn's Hamagachi

Question LogMeIn's Hamagachi

Has anyone used/deployed LogMeIn's Hamagachi? I'm trying to connect to 2 HWQS processors in the field. Any success w/this product? Thanks.

Authorized Lutron Contributor
    Have you tried activating the processors while connected to the local network? If you initially try to activate the processors via VPN, they will not communicate. They need to first be activated in the local network, then they will be able to communicate in the VPN connection afterwards.

Yes, the processors are already active and I was able to communicate with them wirelessly on the clients' local wifi. I have not read through the 23 page app note on this, however. And it's difficult to get an answer from LogMeIn OR tech support in PA.

If your VPN connection does not support multi-casting then in the activation screen for the processors select the remote access option. Here you will want to check the box to use TCP to communicate with the system and enter the IP address of one of the processors. Then save and apply. Does this establish a connection to your system?

I have not yet tried that. I have yet to deployed the Hamagchi product. If conceptually I understand this, the Hamagachi product will allow me access up to five different routers or networks (i.e., 5 clients be they Ra2 or HWQS) - Hamagachi will manage these 5 sites with respect to their static/dynamic IP addresses. When I launch either HomeworksQS or Ra2 and load a client project, I should connect w/o issue then, yes?

As I work through this however, I'm finding Comcast is using different routers depending upon the needs of the client, which makes sense. If a Comcast client subscribes to a Comcast internet service only, and has landline telephone service from Verizon, and TV service from DirectTV, Comcast may use a router different from one they'd use if their client were subscribing to all Comcast services - telephone, cable TV and internet. I have a Comcast client whose router did not support multicasting. After the service call, I found I had two routers to deal with - manufactured by different companies.

Time-Warmer also uses different routers, but they seem to be standardizing around a Cisco router. But that could/may change. So I'm thinking for every client site I want remote access to, or every system I spec period, I will spec/build the system on one router - perhaps a version of a D-Link or Luxul router. It's a cost easily built into the bid.

Is there a best practices yet for this?

The documentation we have for these applications would be our remote access app notes and our networking app note.