Thanks Thanks:  4
Likes Likes:  3
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Main repeater LED blink codes

Authorized Lutron Contributor

Main repeater LED blink codes

The RadioRA 2 Main Repeater can indicate various states to the user through specific blinking patterns of its LED's. Below, you will find the most common Main Repeater's blink codes, their meaning, and steps to bring the device back to normal if the current state is abnormal.

Test LED and Add LED are alternating
    Meaning:
    • The Main Repeater is currently transferring information to devices in the space. This state is normal and can take several minutes to complete.

"M" LED green and blinks orange every 4 seconds
    Meaning:
    • The Main Repeater cannot resolve the Remote Access server's IP address. The Main Repeater is not communicating to the Remote Access server.

Possible cause:
    • The Main Repeater is not connected to the local network or is connected to a network without Internet access.
    • The residence is experience an Internet outage.
    • The "Default Gateway" and/or "Preferred DNS Server" are incorrectly set on the Main Repeater.

Remedy:
    1. Verify the Main Repeater is connected to the local network with Internet access.
    2. Verify the site's Internet connectivity by using a computer to browse the web on the same network as the Main Repeater.
    3. Connect to the Main Repeater and open "Find Main Repeater" within the RadioRA 2 software. Click the "Show Advanced" link.
    4. Verify the "Gateway Address" and "Preferred DNS Server" are correct. Typically, these will be the IP address of the router on-site.
    5. If the issue persists, contact remoteaccess@lutron.com for assistance.

Status LED's are all OFF
    Meaning:
    • If software-programmed, the Main Repeater has not yet been "found" using the Find Main Repeater tool in the RadioRA 2 software. If walkaround-programmed, the Main Repeater has not yet entered Add Mode.

Possible causes:
    • The device is new, out-of-the-box.
    • The device does not have power.
    • The device has been factory defaulted, which erased any previously stored project file within it.

Remedy:
    1. Ensure the Main Repeater's power supply is plugged into a live receptacle and the power supply is connected to the Main Repeater's power input.
    2. If the system is to be software-programmed, use the "Find Main Repeater" tool in the RadioRA 2 software. For walkaround-programming, enter Add Mode on the Main Repeater (press and hold "Add" button), activate any system devices, and exit Add Mode (press and hold "Add" button again).

Status LED's are solid RED
    Meaning:
    • The Main Repeater is in "Safe Mode" mode. This means the Main Repeater was unable to properly load the project file after three consecutive attempts.

Possible causes:
    • Project file transferred to the Main Repeater has an internal issue.
    • The Main Repeater did not receive the entire project from the RadioRA 2 software during the latest transfer.
    • Excess network traffic on the network.

Remedy:
    1. Remove the Main Repeater from the network. Disconnect the 3rd-party RS-232 and Repeater Link, if present.
    2. Directly connect your computer to the Main Repeater using a single Ethernet cable.
    3. Use the RadioRA 2 software to re-upload the OS.
    4. Power-cycle the Main Repeater.
    5. If the issue persists, factory default the Main Repeater. ***NOTE: This command will factory default all devices that are activated to the Main Repeater. Do not factory default the Main Repeater if the Main Repeater is not in Safe Mode. It is recommended to have a copy of the project file for this site on hand before performing this step. Once the Main Repeater returns to normal mode, use the project file when entering Activation mode and re-activate devices automatically using the stored device serial numbers in the project file.
    6. If the issue persists, contact Technical Support for additional assistance.

Status LED's are blinking RED
    Meaning:
    • The Main Repeater is in "Boot Safe" mode. This means the Main Repeater was unable to boot up.

Possible causes:
    • Causes vary from case to case. If the issue persists, please call our Technical Support at 1-800-523-9466.

Remedy:
    1. Remove the Main Repeater from the network. Disconnect the 3rd-party RS-232 and Repeater Link, if present.
    2. Directly connect your computer to the Main Repeater using a single Ethernet cable.
    4. If the issue persists, contact Technical Support for additional assistance.

Status LED's are blinking GREEN
    Meaning:
    • The Main Repeater does not have an operating system (OS).

Possible causes:
    • Power was cycled to the Main Repeater while performing an OS upgrade.

Remedy:
    4. If the issue persists, contact Technical Support for additional assistance.
    Last edited by Ty W.; 07-09-2013 at 09:36 AM.

2. Thanks SDR-Mike, ekimla, Scottydont, randyc thanked for this post
    Likes ekimla, Scottydont liked this post
    What happens if the after weeks of the system being programmed, the test LED and Add LED are still alternating?

Have the test and add LED's been blinking this way ever since the last transfer to the system a few weeks ago?

Yes, they have. The homeowner tried unplugging it and plugging it back in and the lights are still flashing rapidly back and forth. They sent me a video of what it looks like if you need it.

Quote Originally Posted by amyriley View Post
    Yes, they have. The homeowner tried unplugging it and plugging it back in and the lights are still flashing rapidly back and forth. They sent me a video of what it looks like if you need it.
    Just trying to gather a little more information Amy.

How is the system programmed? Was the system programmed with walk-around programming or software programming?
    Are the test and add LEDs flashing green or orange?

The system was programmed with the RadioRA2 Inclusive software. I went down to add some additional devices/programming and I had to unplug and plug the main repeater back in 3 times through out the day (6 hour period). It would either stop being able to be seen by the software (I was plugged directly into it) or the add/test lights would start flashing the system would not respond correctly (commands would be missed). There is a second main repeater on the system and that one has not had any problems.

Thank you for the additional information about your Main Repeater. In order to best help determine the cause of the issue, could you please answer these questions:

1. How are the Main Repeaters connected
    2. How are the Main Repeaters mounted? Inside an enclosure? Next to any other RF devices (routers, etc.)?
    3. What’s the closest distance to a device on that Main Repeater link? What’s the furthest distance to a device on that Main Repeater link?
    4. How far away are the Repeaters from each other? Are there any Aux repeaters on the Repeater link that’s causing issues? How are they connected to/distance from that Main Repeater?
    5. Please send in a support file created while connected from the system to systemsupport@lutron.com. To generate a support file, go to "Help->Support->Create Support File

For further troubleshooting assistance, please call our technical support line at 1-800-523-9466 while on site.
    Last edited by Kevin P.; 12-26-2013 at 04:14 PM. Reason: spelling

Ben M.
    I am aware of another blink code. Rapid flashing green on the "M" status light.

This blink happens when the main repeater has recently resolved a IP conflict (usually Default Gateway or DNS Server) and is attempting to connect to the Lutron Remote Access Servers.

This rapid green blink should be brief and only last about a minute or so. After the connection is made, the "M" status light should hold at solid green indicating that Remote Access is now available.

I tried updating the firmware to 9.1 and my main repeater is stuck with all the repeater status lights blinking white. It is not resetting even after I have tried unplugging the repeater from power multiple times. Any solutions? I cant seem to be able to reset the main repeater either.

Hi,

My problem is "Status LED's are blinking GREEN" and i would like know, how to re-upload the OS? By the RadioRA 2 Essentials ? Because i'm tried and when i do Find Main Repeater, the software found, but in the status show OFFLINE? How can i do to fix this? Thanks

12. Likes henbob liked this post
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast