Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Radiora2 with Hunter Douglas shades.

Radiora2 with Hunter Douglas shades.

Hello. I have a radio ra 2 system and would like to control my Hunter Douglas wired shades with the lutron keypads. Currently my lutron installer programed them so that one button raises them and another one lowers them but once they are moving they cannot be stopped.
    I would like to program them so that one button can lower, stop, raise, stop.
    Is this possible?
    Thanks!

Authorized Lutron Contributor
    As these shades are Hunter Douglas shades the Lutron RadioRA2 system is most likely using contact closures to control the shades. Since there would need to be on closure to open the shade an another closure to close the shades it would not be possible to have one button to perform the functionality you are looking for. To have a stop function you may need a third button depending on what states the contact closure need to be in for the Hunter Douglas shades to know to stop.

Shading Integration question

Can they be controlled with RS232 serial bridge kit PCN 2170000199? Would it be possible to achieve that functionality this way?

Quote Originally Posted by JasonR View Post
    Can they be controlled with RS232 serial bridge kit PCN 2170000199? Would it be possible to achieve that functionality this way?
    RadioRA2 cannot send out serial signals. HomeWorks has this ability. Through RadioRA2, you would need a third party controller to monitor the keypad press and have a macro designed to send signals to the shades.
    Simple automation when DIY isn't working
    intuitivehomecontrols@gmail.com
    fb.me/intuitivehomecontrols

Can you help out with homeworks integration with hunter douglas Power view hub via IP or RS232

Quote Originally Posted by itechsolution View Post
    Can you help out with homeworks integration with hunter douglas Power view hub via IP or RS232
    You can use a Hunter Douglas Platinum Gateway. RS-232 from QS into gateway. Gateway then RFs to shades. Note: RA2 does not output RS-232 serial strings. Period. Plus, contact closure control is not an option unless HD shades are wired (i.e. not RF).

One option is to output RF into a Hunter Douglas gateway. RA2 does not do this. QS might.

Correction: the one option is to output IR (not RF) into the HD gateway.

Another option is to use a 3rd party control system to handle the process. Have it detect the button presses and send them to the HD gear. You'd have to find one that did both Ra2 and whichever variant of Hunter Douglas shades you have installed. HD has had several different variations on their gateways over the years, and they all use different connection methods.

Quote Originally Posted by wkearney99 View Post
    Another option is to use a 3rd party control system to handle the process. Have it detect the button presses and send them to the HD gear. You'd have to find one that did both Ra2 and whichever variant of Hunter Douglas shades you have installed. HD has had several different variations on their gateways over the years, and they all use different connection methods.
    Thought so, too! So yesterday I contacted several 3rd party companies that market RS-232 "translators".

So far none has a product or has suggested a product which can be set up to respond to RA2 Telnet output strings (e.g. 1, 1, 3 ) then, in turn output a driver string readable by a HD Gateway (e.g. $im04- which is execute macro 4). I am open to product suggestions. Thanks