Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  1

Thread: Adding a Remote Control to a dual switched overhead light

Adding a Remote Control to a dual switched overhead light

I have a room with overhead lights. They are all on one circuit controlled by two switches (one a dimmer) at either entrance to the room (i.e. a 3-pole setup). I want to have a battery-operated remote control that can also switch the lights off or on.

To be clear, I do NOT want to give up either of the in-wall switch functions. I want to ADD a third function - the remote control. I have looked at the Caseta wireless system, but it instructs me to replace not only one of the 3-way switches but BOTH. And I end up with the remote "glued" to one of the in-wall switch locations.

I want both switches to operate in the conventional manner AND be able to use the remote anywhere else in the room to turn the lights on or off. I'm certainly willing to replace the current technology at both "ends" of the 3-pole setup, but I do not want the remote being one of the 2 "ends." I want it in my hand, so to speak.

Is there a product to do this?

Authorized Lutron Contributor
    Quote Originally Posted by NashvilleKit View Post
    I have a room with overhead lights. They are all on one circuit controlled by two switches (one a dimmer) at either entrance to the room (i.e. a 3-pole setup). I want to have a battery-operated remote control that can also switch the lights off or on.

To be clear, I do NOT want to give up either of the in-wall switch functions. I want to ADD a third function - the remote control. I have looked at the Caseta wireless system, but it instructs me to replace not only one of the 3-way switches but BOTH. And I end up with the remote "glued" to one of the in-wall switch locations.

I want both switches to operate in the conventional manner AND be able to use the remote anywhere else in the room to turn the lights on or off. I'm certainly willing to replace the current technology at both "ends" of the 3-pole setup, but I do not want the remote being one of the 2 "ends." I want it in my hand, so to speak.

Is there a product to do this?
    NashvilleKit,

The Caseta Wireless dimmers can support multiple remotes. Once the 3-way is setup with the PD-6WCL and Pico remote you can add another handheld Pico remote. You can also add a Smart Bridge Pro to the setup and control the 3-way in the Lutron Caseta Wireless app on a Apple or Android device.

Another option is to use a Maestro Wireless dimmer and Maestro Companion dimmer in the 3-way. Then add a Pico Wireless remote to control the Maestro Wireless dimmer.

Thank you. I think I have it figured out now.

You could also just buy a Maestro IR dimmer and a companion dimmer to maintain the existing 3-way setup then you can use the IR remote to control the lights or learn the IR command into any capable universal remote.
    VAV
    Danbury, CT

5. Likes alexm3g liked this post