Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  2

Thread: Nest Integration??

Nest Integration??

Nest has made their thermostat open source. Hopefully someone can integrate?

https://developer.nest.com/documentation/api-reference

There is some level of integration already possible via ifttt

Works with Nest

Nest announced "Lutron support" today according to a few media reports, including this one: http://www.theverge.com/2015/1/5/748...ps-lg-ces-2015

This article (http://www.techhive.com/article/2864...egrations.html) says:
    "Lutron is integrating the Nest into its DIY-friendly Caseta Wireless lighting-control app"

Any idea if that support will be extended to RadioRA2??

-Keith
    Last edited by keithnet; 01-05-2015 at 09:31 AM. Reason: added additional information

I wouldn't bet on it. Caseta was already supporting some Honeywell thermostats, so Nest is being added to this list of 3rd party thermostats that they support. RA2 has never had support for 3rd party thermostats at all.

Sad to hear. It would seem best for Lutron to provide support for Nest (and maybe a few other popular thermostats) via HomeControl for RadioRA2.

From what I can determine, Caseta is cloud based processor where as RA2's main repeater is a localized processor. You don't need an internet connection for button press, etc. the quote below was in the trade press as another reference to Cloud based intergration. Native control of third party devices is a big deal. I for one would like to see more of them for the RA2 platform. Alarm.com, Honeywell, drivers etc good to have. But this new level of Caseta intergration might cause me to change over to Caseta from RA2 in some senarios.

"Also, Lutron recently announced cloud-to-cloud integration with Logitech’s Harmony Living Home, which includes a handheld universal remote control, as well as apps for A/V control and home automation"

Makes me wonder if it's lights out for radio ra2. I have clients ask me all the time, why go with ra2 given the power of Casetta. My supplier just made a similar comment, that ra is getting tougher to sell. I hope it changes soon and they expand the offering. Wifi is a pain.

Quote Originally Posted by Yetis View Post
    Makes me wonder if it's lights out for radio ra2. I have clients ask me all the time, why go with ra2 given the power of Casetta. My supplier just made a similar comment, that ra is getting tougher to sell. I hope it changes soon and they expand the offering. Wifi is a pain.
    It won't be lights out for Ra2. I said the same thing when I was repping the line and Caseta was introduced. Caseta is aimed primarily at the entry level/advanced DIY consumer. I agree that it probably handles 90% of the homes we enter, but those owners may balk at the price of the more advanced Ra2. This lets Lutron play in a market that is huge that Ra2 is just too expensive. In turn, as more people become accustomed to the paradigm shift in lighting control over standard switching/dimming, Ra2 will be available to those homeowners as they progress to larger homes that will require Ra2. "All boats rise with the tide" so to speak.
    Simple automation when DIY isn't working
    intuitivehomecontrols@gmail.com
    fb.me/intuitivehomecontrols

9. Likes Scottydont, dvpvic liked this post
    Quote Originally Posted by SanDiegoRep View Post
    It won't be lights out for Ra2. I said the same thing when I was repping the line and Caseta was introduced. Caseta is aimed primarily at the entry level/advanced DIY consumer. I agree that it probably handles 90% of the homes we enter, but those owners may balk at the price of the more advanced Ra2. This lets Lutron play in a market that is huge that Ra2 is just too expensive. In turn, as more people become accustomed to the paradigm shift in lighting control over standard switching/dimming, Ra2 will be available to those homeowners as they progress to larger homes that will require Ra2. "All boats rise with the tide" so to speak.
    Well said. Makes sense that way.