Thanks Thanks:  1
Likes Likes:  2
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Lamp Dimmers & LED

Question Lamp Dimmers & LED

Hi, I've used a number of plug in modules and I've used the "cut the plug" receptacles for dimming use with wall dimmers, but I wondered if anyone could tell me more about what the lamp dimming plug in modules can be used for. They have 10W minimums, and I think the 300LD and 3PD are the same except the way they're controlled. Could one use these for switching LEDs? I suppose I have to look in the software to see if they're customizable to have immediate 100% vs the nicer dim to full.

2. Thanks ekimla thanked for this post
    Authorized Lutron Contributor
    schalliol, you can change the load type in the software to "Non-Dimmed Lighting" and this will force the device to 100% on. This can be achieved by going to the device in the design tab, right clicking/selecting edit, and then changing the value in the "Load Type" field. Please don't forget to transfer after your changes. This feature will work with the RR-3PD-1 and the RRD-3LD.

To confirm:
    • This should be an easy way to migrate lamps to LED, but in doing so you will lose the dimming ability. I assume I should've known this, but since it isn't shown in non-lamp modules, I never noticed
    • There are no RR2 LED-dimming lamp dimmers from Lutron, and there is no way to dim LED lamps other than doing the dimming receptacle cut-cord connection
    • Is it technically possible to add a setting like this for 6Ds (understanding there is a 50W minimum)? Generally I wouldn't want a dimming control on a load that cannot dim, but for certain locations, this would be just fine.

Is this all correct?

Authorized Lutron Contributor
    schalliol, unfortunately the "Lamp Dimmers" are not compatible with LEDs. Please visit our LED compatibility tool for the most current list of compatible LEDs. It can be found at the following address - www.lutron.com/ledtool. I generally recommend visiting the site first in order to determine the correct control for the fixture/bulb.

The RRD-6D does not have the same ability as the lamp dimmers. The 6D cannot be turned into a switch. If a switch is needed, you would have to replace the RRD-6D with a RA2 Switch (RRD-8ANS or RRD-8S-DV)

Thanks, Vic. To be clear, >10W LED loads CAN be switched using the "lamp dimmers" by making the adjustment, but you have no way to dim LED-based lamps. Correct?

By the way, I did make the setting change to non-dimmed lighting and installed a total of six 4.8W Feit LEDs (part 728480) in two lamps and it worked great. Just for fun, I tried switching back to incandescent, etc. and low and behold, it actually worked perfectly! So we went from 240W to 28.8W at the same brightness (maybe a touch brighter at peak) with very nearly full-range dimming with no flashing using a lamp dimmer.

Even though they aren't officially supported, we've actually had really good luck using the 3PD's with Cree's A19 60w and 75w LED bulbs. They dim just as smoothly as incandescents and with no added issues (no pop-on, no limited dimming range, no buzzing, etc), which is surprising considering that the same bulbs used in a light fixture controlled by a switch doesn't work nearly as well. They were terrible with the 6CL, and just passable with the 10ND (popcorn effect is gone but still really significant buzzing). So I just wanted to clarify that while Lutron's official position is that the lamp dimmers aren't able to dim LED lights, our experience in the field so far has been that that's completely false and frankly that the 3PD's often work better than the dimmers Lutron supposedly designed to work with LEDs.

9. Likes schalliol, SDR-Mike liked this post
    Quote Originally Posted by thekidceo View Post
    Even though they aren't officially supported, we've actually had really good luck using the 3PD's with Cree's A19 60w and 75w LED bulbs. They dim just as smoothly as incandescents and with no added issues (no pop-on, no limited dimming range, no buzzing, etc), which is surprising considering that the same bulbs used in a light fixture controlled by a switch doesn't work nearly as well. They were terrible with the 6CL, and just passable with the 10ND (popcorn effect is gone but still really significant buzzing). So I just wanted to clarify that while Lutron's official position is that the lamp dimmers aren't able to dim LED lights, our experience in the field so far has been that that's completely false and frankly that the 3PD's often work better than the dimmers Lutron supposedly designed to work with LEDs.
    Hi,
    you mentioned "They were terrible with the 6CL". Could you elaborate more as far as the issue and what you don't like?
    I am about to go with RRD-6CL totally instead of RRD-6D. The 6CL is supposedly better for LEDs. I am planning to use CREE A19 60W True White(TW) LED bulbs for light fixtures. Also thinking to use RRD-3LD to control CREE A19 60W True White(TW) or the 75W LED bulbs for all my table lamps and torch lights.
    Thanks.

I have tried dimming an led screw in lamp on a 3ld... Worked awesome! For about 3 months...
    after 3 months the lamp would not turn off. I had to disconnect it from mains to reset it. Now back to inc lamps.

That's strange. When the module goes to power off, it would make the lamp turn off. I guess the dimmer wasn't changing. Have you tried just power cycling the dimmer as a fluke? Does it work fine on the incandescent every time whereas it doesn't for the LED? In case you don't know, you could at least use the LED non-dimmed.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast