Thanks Thanks:  1
Likes Likes:  2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Lamp Dimmers & LED

Quote Originally Posted by jchitrady View Post
    Hi,
    you mentioned "They were terrible with the 6CL". Could you elaborate more as far as the issue and what you don't like?
    I am about to go with RRD-6CL totally instead of RRD-6D. The 6CL is supposedly better for LEDs. I am planning to use CREE A19 60W True White(TW) LED bulbs for light fixtures. Also thinking to use RRD-3LD to control CREE A19 60W True White(TW) or the 75W LED bulbs for all my table lamps and torch lights.
    Thanks.
    Hey jchitrady,
    Essentially, our standard setup is the EcoSmart ECO-575L (a Home Depot brand but they use Cree drivers unlike the other EcoSmart products) for recessed lights and the 2700k Cree A19 bulbs (60/75/100W, depending on the location) for lamps, chandeliers, etc. The 6CL works flawlessly with the ECO-575L floods, but with more than one or two of the A19s you'll get a VERY loud buzzing and the lights will have power issues (from a cold start they'll take a few seconds to react and turn on, then they'll all suddenly drop out and go dark (mimicking an incandescent bulb that blows out), and then they'll finally fade up to 100% the way they're supposed to. During that time, the dimmer keeps losing power (the LEDs on it go off, then they all flash at once, then it goes back to normal). You need a dimmer or switch with a neutral wire to counteract these issues. Once we switched each location to an 8ANS or a 10ND we didn't have any of these issues (except for the buzzing, which was still there but definitely less noticeable). We weren't using the "True White" variant but I have to imagine the drivers are the same so they'd have the same issues. My suggestion would be to go with the 6CL everywhere you can (we used them for all the Ecosmart floods, and they cost the same as the 6D so why not?), and then spot treat with 10NDs/8ANSs with Cree A19s or any other bulbs you find have issues with two-wire dimmers. If it's a plug-in device like a lamp, use the 3PD; even though they don't officially mention LED support, they work 10 times as well as the 6CLs (not even any buzzing with the same Cree A19s). Then again, it may be because they only have one Cree A19 on them at a time, whereas the switched locations where we tried 6CLs had 3-12 Cree A19s on the one dimmer. Anyway, let me know how it works out and if you have any other questions.

Quote Originally Posted by thekidceo View Post
    Hey jchitrady,
    Essentially, our standard setup is the EcoSmart ECO-575L (a Home Depot brand but they use Cree drivers unlike the other EcoSmart products) for recessed lights and the 2700k Cree A19 bulbs (60/75/100W, depending on the location) for lamps, chandeliers, etc. The 6CL works flawlessly with the ECO-575L floods, but with more than one or two of the A19s you'll get a VERY loud buzzing and the lights will have power issues (from a cold start they'll take a few seconds to react and turn on, then they'll all suddenly drop out and go dark (mimicking an incandescent bulb that blows out), and then they'll finally fade up to 100% the way they're supposed to. During that time, the dimmer keeps losing power (the LEDs on it go off, then they all flash at once, then it goes back to normal). You need a dimmer or switch with a neutral wire to counteract these issues. Once we switched each location to an 8ANS or a 10ND we didn't have any of these issues (except for the buzzing, which was still there but definitely less noticeable). We weren't using the "True White" variant but I have to imagine the drivers are the same so they'd have the same issues. My suggestion would be to go with the 6CL everywhere you can (we used them for all the Ecosmart floods, and they cost the same as the 6D so why not?), and then spot treat with 10NDs/8ANSs with Cree A19s or any other bulbs you find have issues with two-wire dimmers. If it's a plug-in device like a lamp, use the 3PD; even though they don't officially mention LED support, they work 10 times as well as the 6CLs (not even any buzzing with the same Cree A19s). Then again, it may be because they only have one Cree A19 on them at a time, whereas the switched locations where we tried 6CLs had 3-12 Cree A19s on the one dimmer. Anyway, let me know how it works out and if you have any other questions.
    Thanks for the detail info. I happen to also use the EcoSmart ECO-575L for all my recessed lights and I am using the RRD-6D. If the 6CL would do a better job for the EcoSmart ECO-575L then I would replace the 6D with the 6CL and use the 6D for my outside flood lights. I should be getting some 6CL and 3LD soon so I can check them out.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12