Thanks Thanks:  1
Likes Likes:  3
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Troubleshooting 3rd-party integration issues with HWQS

Authorized Lutron Contributor

Troubleshooting 3rd-party integration issues with HWQS

While many customers utilize the HWQS system's ability to integrate with other 3rd-party devices, any issue that occurs in the field can prove to be the most challenging to troubleshoot. While it's not impossible to determine the problem in the setup by yourself as the HomeWorks dealer, we strongly recommend working together with individuals knowledgeable on each system involved when attacking 3rd-party integration issues on-site. The logistical difficulty of arranging for everyone to be in the same room at one time can greatly outweigh the headache of an elongated, persistent issue that never seems to be nailed down by either expert alone.

1. Verify 3rd-party integration setup steps
      • Using the 3rd-party integration setup app note, verify each step was completed correctly to the best of your knowledge. Double-check that the correct scenario was originally considered. For example, if the HWQS system will be sending a 3rd-party command to the 3rd-party device, then either scenarios 1 or 2 would be used. If the 3rd-party system is sending Lutron commands to the HWQS system, then scenarios 3 or 4 would be used.

While each integration scenario shares certain characteristics, the best troubleshooting path differs depending on the type of integration attempting to be implemented.

Troubleshooting Inbound Integration Issues (3rd Party Device -> HWQS)

1. Remove the HWQS and 3rd-party system from the network
      • To eliminate the chance network devices or the network itself is preventing the ability for the 3rd-party system to Telnet into the HWQS processor, disconnect both from the network and connect a single Ethernet cable between the two devices, if possible.
      • Once connected directly, ensure a static IP has been set on both devices within the same network if not already set. For example, the 3rd-party device can be set to 192.168.1.99 and the HWQS processor can be set to 192.168.1.100 to allow communication between the two devices. Re-test the 3rd-party system to see if it can now control the HWQS system while off the network.

2. Verify the HWQS is programmed to accept and successfully act on a command from a 3rd-party system
      1. ​Using a computer, open a Telnet session to the HWQS processor targeted by the 3rd-party system (it may be necessary to install Telnet). Go to Start -> All Programs -> Accessories -> Command Prompt. In the prompt, type in "telnet XXX.XXX.XXX.XXX" and press Enter, where the X's are replaced by the IP address of the processor targeted by the 3rd-party system.
      2. If prompted for the "login:" prompt, input the username to be used by the 3rd-party system and press Enter. Once prompted for "password:" input the password assigned to the 3rd-party system.
        • If Telnet returns with a message "Could not open connection to the host, on port 23: Connect failed", then check the IP address of the processor and ensure it's on the same network as your computer. Also ensure that your laptop is connected to the same network. If the processor has an IP address of 192.168.1.100 and your computer has an IP address of 192.168.2.101, they are not on the same network. The computer's IP address must be changed to 192.168.1.101.
        • If Telnet returns with a first prompt other than the "login:", it is possible there is another device on the network that has been assigned the same IP address of the processor. Also, it would be best to verify the IP address of the processor in the HWQS software to ensure the correct IP address is being used.
        • If after inputting the Telnet credentials, the processor returns back with "bad login", verify the username and password for the 3rd-party system has been defined in the HWQS project file. Re-transfer to the HWQS system and re-test to ensure the system is running a copy of the project with the Telnet login defined.

3. ​Once logged in using the credentials defined for the 3rd-party system, send a command that was used by the 3rd-party system unsuccessfully to the processor.
        • If the processor returns with an "~ERROR,X", the command syntax is incorrect. To help you determine the correct syntax of a command, you can request help from the processor by appending a ",?" . For example, sending "#device,?" will return the possible parameters to the command and its usage syntax ("#DEVICE,<ID>,<component number,<action>...").
        • Verify the device you are attempting to integrate with has been enabled for integration. To do this in the HWQS software, go to Tools -> Configure Integration -> Integration tab. If any changes are made, it is necessary to re-transfer the project file to the HWQS system.

Troubleshooting Outbound Integration Issues (HWQS -> 3rd Party Device)

1. Check outbound 3rd-party status connectivity
      • One of the best ways to determine if the issue resides on Lutron-side or the 3rd-party side is to determine whether or not a command is crossing the "bridge" between the two systems and that the commands specified in the HWQS program are actually being transmitted from the HWQS processor.
        1. ​Open Terminal and connect to a processor in the system.
        2. Send the command "outboundconnections". This command should return a list of the outbound 3rd-party connections that particular processor is responsible for opening. If you do not see the name of the 3rd-party device in question, disconnect from the current processor, connect to the next processor in the system, and send the outboundconnections command.
        3. Check whether or not the HWQS processor has established a connection to the 3rd-party system.
          • If "Is connected to device:" returns "Not Connected", verify the 3rd-party device IP address and login credentials. If verified, try to make a Telnet connection from your PC connected on the same network to the 3rd-party device. If unsuccessful, ensure the 3rd-party device is setup to accept Telnet connections.

4. ​Check the command history of commands transmitted to the 3rd-party device. Ensure the command entered in the custom command set in the project file is transmitting the appropriate commands. Starting at the top, the command history is listed from oldest commands sent to most recent.
          • ​If the expected command does not appear to be sent according to the history, verify the command is programmed in the system on the device used to test (i.e. keypad button press). When controlling multiple 3rd-party devices from the HWQS system that use the same command set, be sure that the proper 3rd-party device was programmed on the button. For example, a Front Yard Fountain Controller assigned to the keypad button labeled "Backyard Fountain ON" is incorrect.

5. Attempt to Telnet into the 3rd-party system from your computer on the same network and try sending the custom command.
          • ​If the 3rd-party system does not respond, work with the 3rd-party manufacturer to determine if there is a syntax issue, connection issue, or setting issue on the 3rd-party side that enables their system to accept commands from other devices.

2. RS-232 to Ethernet adapters
      • If using an RS-232 to Ethernet adapter, you can use your computer to verify the 3rd-party commands are transmitted on the RS-232 side of the adapter
        1. ​Using a null modem cable or a straight-through cable with a null modem adapter, make a serial connection between your computer and the adapter.
        2. Using PuTTY or another terminal program, open a terminal window to the adapter. Once opened, exercise programming on the HWQS-side that should output a 3rd-party string.
          • If the string does not appear in the terminal screen, ensure your terminal program is following the baud rate/serial settings specified or configured in the adapter.
          • Some terminal programs do not reveal present line feeds or carraige returns. ​If the command appears, double-check with the 3rd-party manufacturer to determine if an RS-232 terminator is required (carriage return or line feed) and if so, defined in the 3rd-party command set in the HWQS software.

2. Thanks Blair S. thanked for this post
    Likes Blair S. liked this post
    For troubleshooting outbound connection issues. In step 4 it wasn't apparent to me that the outboundconnections command also displays the command history. Just an FYI for anyone else who may run into the same misunderstanding.

4. Likes Ty W. liked this post
    Hello.
    Im trying to integrate a Homeworks QS system with a NWK interface, what I need to send are commands to the NWK when I press a button from a keypad. I can control with no problems the NWK via telnet with Putty all the commands are sent with no problems but when I try to send the commands thrue the homeworks qs keypad button it seems that the homeworks qs never send the command via ethernet to the NWK interface.

Can you please let me know what do I need to do integrate them correctly? I have everything working but the outbound command from the homeworks qs to the NWK interface.

Thanks

ishurman, the NWK does not have the ability to send custom strings to third-party systems. To send custom strings to a third-party systems the HomeWorks QS system would need to be able to communicate with the third-party system over an Ethernet connection directly or by using an Ethernet-to-RS232 converter.

On the HomeWorks resources site under education> Online training > HWQS there is an online training video that covers "3rd-party custom integration commands".

Quote Originally Posted by Craig W. View Post
    ishurman, the NWK does not have the ability to send custom strings to third-party systems. To send custom strings to a third-party systems the HomeWorks QS system would need to be able to communicate with the third-party system over an Ethernet connection directly or by using an Ethernet-to-RS232 converter.

On the HomeWorks resources site under education> Online training > HWQS there is an online training video that covers "3rd-party custom integration commands".

Thanks we already solved the problem we are were not trying to send strings to thirdparty via the nwk, we needed to send commands from homeworks qs to NWK so the NWK could send the command to the grafik ecosystem device. Our problem was that we were not getting a telnet connection form the qs to the NWK but now its solved.

Thanks anyways.

I need to control HWQS processor via a 3rd Party automation processor ( to control by iPad APp). It can send only RS232 Stings over DB-9 Pin. I am trying with rs232 to Ethernet adapter, but I am not able to control HWQS. I also had cheeked that automation processor is sending 232 strings over Ethernet via adapter on my PC in a rs232 analyzer.

Do i need to do any setting in HWQS software ? I am able to control HWQS prcessor via telnet tho.
    Do i need to enter telent id and password of HWQS in Ethernet adapter? Cause my adapter doesn't have that option.

Please see out attached app note on RS232 and Ethernet integration with HomeWorks QS. We recommend you follow scenario three that describes how to control HomeWorks QS via RS232. It will go over configuring the RS232-Ethernet converter we have tested and recommend as well as what to set up in the software.
    Attached Files Attached Files

Quote Originally Posted by Armando B. View Post
    Please see out attached app note on RS232 and Ethernet integration with HomeWorks QS. We recommend you follow scenario three that describes how to control HomeWorks QS via RS232. It will go over configuring the RS232-Ethernet converter we have tested and recommend as well as what to set up in the software.

In scenario three,, can you explain me the point no 8.
    "The Ethernet to RS-232 converter device will automatically open the Telnet session with the HWQS processor, however, the 3rd-party device must send the Telnet username/password
    via RS-232 when prompted. After the login occurs, the 3rd-party device can then utilize the
    Lutron Integration Protocol, as if the device was connected via Ethernet"

How to send username and password by RS232 strings..??

It would depend on the third party system and/or driver you are using. Usually there is a field to input the username and password for some third party drivers, but that would depend on the third party company and they would be able to best assist you on how to send the username and password to the processor via RS232.

My third party processor can send only RS232 strings with Db-9 Pin Out,, can it control the HWQS Processor.... i can not send login and password details in other way. is there a particular sting format for that,,??

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast