Thanks Thanks:  1
Likes Likes:  1

Thread: Turning Staircase & Occupancy Sensor(s)?

Turning Staircase & Occupancy Sensor(s)?

I'm trying to come up with a way to use an occupancy sensor on a stairway that leads to a finished basement. There's a door at the top of the stairs with that is mostly glass, and the staircase goes 1/2 way down, has a landing, and then the stairs to the bottom 1/2 go 180° the other direction. There are walls in on the sides and in the middle. Is there any good way to have these stairs illuminate when entering and using, turning off fairly quickly just after? Thanks!

Use the LRF2 sensors strategically placed (with lens masking if necessary) and 1 min timeout. You may want to use perhaps two LRF2 sensors grouped in the software to operate like one sensor. I.e. Place both sensors in the same room of the software (you could call the room "basement stairs").
    obviously you need a RA2 dimmer for the stair light.

3. Thanks schalliol thanked for this post
    Likes schalliol liked this post
    Makes sense, thanks! Would you put one near the top of the stairs and one near the bottom?

Okay, I have another question on this. The door to this stairway has a glass door. I read that the IR doesn't go through glass in the materials that came with the ceiling sensor, but I wonder if that's more of a caveat than reality. Basically, I don't want people walking on the outside of the glass door to the stairs to trigger the motion sensor, but immediately upon opening the door or walking in, it would be great if the occupancy sensor fired.

What do you guys/gals think?

I think it is a geometric game of pool. Play with the angles of the sensor so IR reflects off the glass, or use lens masking tape to block the view beyond the door. Experiment with it!

Fair point. I just wondered if indeed the signal won't go through glass as docs say. It's not intuitive to me that it wouldn't.