Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Radio Ra2 HVAC installation right

Radio Ra2 HVAC installation right

What would happen if i don`t install the wired sensor, i have only the RF Temperature sensor in the room, the situation is that i just received the HVAC controller and i can not run a wire to the AC duct as the Wired sensor tells me to do, can i leave the wired sensor near by the AC duct?, thanks for the help.

Are you installing the HVAC controller at the air handler? If so, you should be able to install the wired sensor inside the return side of the ductwork pretty easily. It doesn't have to be at the room end, if that's what you thought. It will not be effective outside of the duct.

HVAC installed right

Quote Originally Posted by digit1 View Post
    Are you installing the HVAC controller at the air handler? If so, you should be able to install the wired sensor inside the return side of the ductwork pretty easily. It doesn't have to be at the room end, if that's what you thought. It will not be effective outside of the duct.

The See temp Wall display is placed where the old Thermostat was, the HVAC controller is not installed near the air handler since the air handler is outside the house and there are only 4 wires running to this point (i can not run any more wires to this location ) also the walls are really thick and do not allow communication between the Radio Ra main repeater and the HVAC controller, as i mentioned before the only way of sensing the room temperature is with the LFR2-TWRB, thanks again for yout help.

I think you can make the system work without the wired sensor but I would consider that an unsupported installation. The wired sensor works as a backup if the wireless sensor falls offline for some reason (battery). It may work with just the RF sensor but I wouldn't recommend it. Probably your best solution would be to get another RF repeater closer to the air handler and put the HVAC controller in a raintight PVC box outside, which would allow for the wired sensor.

Authorized Lutron Contributor
    The HVAC controller needs to have the wired sensor connected or it will not operate correctly. This is to ensure the HVAC controller has a way of measuring the temperature for that zone.

I have a similar problem except I will only control one heating element for a greenhouse. my first thought was to use the HVAC controller and one temperature sensor to power a 2-pole crydom relay to power the heater. will the HVAC Controller provide the temperature based switching I need.

Can't he use the wired flush-mount sensor (as opposed to the in-duct sensor) in any wall in the conditioned space, e.g. within wiring distance of the HVAC controller? In my house, for example, which has hydronic heat, there are no ducts, and the HVAC controllers have just the flush-mount sensors wired to them.