Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  2

Thread: Lutron DIY Help

Lutron DIY Help

I am currently renovating my flat and would like to install a Lutron lighting system. The system will be installed by an electrician (I have builders in at the moment) so I'll need to supply all required components for them to fit.

The problem is I'm new to home automation, lighting, and electronics... so I have a lot of questions! Surprisingly there's not that much good info around on the web about how to setup a DIY Lutron system... so here I am (please let me know of any good DIY resources that are out there!)

My flat is about 1,100 sq feet (100 sq m) and spread over 2 floors, with 2 bedrooms, an open plan kitchen/living area, office, 2 bathrooms and a roof terrace. I'd like Lutron throughout. Most switches will need to be dimmers, with some being dual dimmers. Also there will need to be standard on/off switches dotted around. I'd like things to work wirelessly and also with phone apps etc...

My questions are as follows:

• I think I need the Radio RA2 system to achieve what I want. Is this the best option for me? What are the other options?
    • As I want dimmers everywhere (and sometimes dual dimmers) does that mean I can't use LED bulbs? It looks like the dual dimmers don't work with LED for some reason.
    • I don't really have any problems using Halogen bulbs if I have to, but I'd like to future proof the system as much as possible and it looks like LED is taking over. What are my options here?
    • What are the minimum components I need to get a fully working system?
    • Do I need a "Main Repeater" and a "Grafik Eye"?
    • How many Graphik Eye's should I use?
    • If I need a Main Repeater where should I put it? Are you supposed to hide it away somewhere?
    • Do I need "Scene Selection Wall Controls" as well as normal switches? Or is it better to use remotes that can be moved around?
    • What kind of price might I be looking at for a system that has 6 x dual dimmers, 3 x single dimmers, 4 x on/ff switches and the other required components?
    • Are there any special requirements when dealing with outdoor lighting? Obviously it's fine for the switch to be internal

I realize this is a really long list so thanks to anyone who can help out with any of the questions!

Thanks!

Authorized Lutron Contributor
    Quote Originally Posted by blondeh View Post
    I am currently renovating my flat and would like to install a Lutron lighting system. The system will be installed by an electrician (I have builders in at the moment) so I'll need to supply all required components for them to fit.

The problem is I'm new to home automation, lighting, and electronics... so I have a lot of questions! Surprisingly there's not that much good info around on the web about how to setup a DIY Lutron system... so here I am (please let me know of any good DIY resources that are out there!)

My flat is about 1,100 sq feet (100 sq m) and spread over 2 floors, with 2 bedrooms, an open plan kitchen/living area, office, 2 bathrooms and a roof terrace. I'd like Lutron throughout. Most switches will need to be dimmers, with some being dual dimmers. Also there will need to be standard on/off switches dotted around. I'd like things to work wirelessly and also with phone apps etc...

My questions are as follows:

• I think I need the Radio RA2 system to achieve what I want. Is this the best option for me? What are the other options?
    • As I want dimmers everywhere (and sometimes dual dimmers) does that mean I can't use LED bulbs? It looks like the dual dimmers don't work with LED for some reason.
    • I don't really have any problems using Halogen bulbs if I have to, but I'd like to future proof the system as much as possible and it looks like LED is taking over. What are my options here?
    • What are the minimum components I need to get a fully working system?
    • Do I need a "Main Repeater" and a "Grafik Eye"?
    • How many Graphik Eye's should I use?
    • If I need a Main Repeater where should I put it? Are you supposed to hide it away somewhere?
    • Do I need "Scene Selection Wall Controls" as well as normal switches? Or is it better to use remotes that can be moved around?
    • What kind of price might I be looking at for a system that has 6 x dual dimmers, 3 x single dimmers, 4 x on/ff switches and the other required components?
    • Are there any special requirements when dealing with outdoor lighting? Obviously it's fine for the switch to be internal

I realize this is a really long list so thanks to anyone who can help out with any of the questions!

Thanks!
    blondeh,

For complete design assistance we would recommend contacting a local authorized RadioRA 2 dealer. They will be able to best help you with the different design aspects of your remodel.

Please use the link below to locate a local authorized dealer. Just fill in your postal information and specify whole home systems to populate a list of dealers to contact.

http://www.lutron.com/en-US/Pages/WhereToBuy.aspx

3. Likes schalliol liked this post
    Another possible solution is to use caseta wireless switches.

The downsides are
    a. The switches installed will not work directly with a Radio RA2 main repeater. Put another way, Caseta switches cannot be learned into a Radio RA2.
    b. The upper limit of switches possible is probably lower.

On the positive side
    a. Caseta works with the Staples Connect home automation hub which also supports other wireless protocols such as z-wave.
    b. You would be able to experiment with a simpler setup first.

5. Likes schalliol liked this post