Thanks Thanks:  6
Likes Likes:  8
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Apple Home Kit - Potential Answer to Home Automation Integration

Apple Home Kit - Potential Answer to Home Automation Integration

Well, Apple did release Home Kit today, which looks like a good way to combine the varying capabilities across apps, including Siri, device grouping into scenes, paring across devices, etc. I think this could really create major opportunity for RadioRA 2 if Lutron implements it.

Apple says it will make it such that you just tell Siri something like "let's get ready for bed" and garage doors close, doors lock, lights change, alarm goes on, thermostat changes, a/v turns off. They'll also use TouchID to be able to verify who it is on the phone to allow access to locks, etc. I am excited about this for Lutron because RR2 is awesome, but it's not a home automation system on its own. Apple likely will be able to get companies to come together in a way individual companies could not.

This no doubt will be disruptive to those not embracing it, but I suggest history has shown this will happen. Apple already has Texis Instruments, Haier, iHome, iDevices, Kwikset, Philips, Chamberlain, Skybell, Schlage and others on board.

Thoughts?

2. Thanks Craig W., jives thanked for this post
    Likes jives liked this post
    Agreed! It is a good start and counter balance to those who advocate putting an IP v6 address on everything in a home - electrical switches, sprinkler heads,...
    At last, someone has publicly acknowledged that non ip solutions are going to be around for a long while yet as well as a plethora of protocols...

4. Thanks Vic F. thanked for this post
    Likes schalliol, jives liked this post
    LUTRON!!

Please, pleeeease check this out and make sure you've got a plan to utilize HomeKit.
    HomeKit Documentation for HomeKit Developers

Here are some pre-release pictures, which recognize that the implementation isn't fully connected (as expected):
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	9611-1509-homekit-140620-2-l.png 
Views:	281 
Size:	153.1 KB 
ID:	234
    The system does recognize scenes as well, like "put my lights in party mode". It seems the existing Lutron app could support these hooks and keep its consistent interface while allowing people to use Siri for this purpose!

Name:	9611-1514-Screen-Shot-2014-06-20-at-85843-AM-l.png 
Views:	283 
Size:	135.3 KB 
ID:	235

6. Thanks Vic F. thanked for this post
    It seems that with all these players as initial partners (and likely many more to come), it would be worth it for Lutron to play a part. It helps Lutron to compete with companies like Crestron that have their own automation systems without sacrificing Lutron control.

Name:	WWDC-HomeKit-Partners.jpg 
Views:	280 
Size:	45.5 KB 
ID:	238

8. Thanks Vic F. thanked for this post
    Authorized Lutron Contributor
    Schalliol/Bktay - Thank you for your feedback. It is greatly appreciated!

10. Thanks schalliol thanked for this post
    Likes schalliol liked this post
    Integration with HomeKit is just one step. Linux/ Android will be another.
    The bigger question to me is how Lutron would grow its share of the Home Automation market inspite of competitive pressures ( zigbee, wifi, etc).

To date,the Home Automation market is hobbled by expensive and sometimes inept installations and/ or equipment.

The focus has been more on selling stuff than solving problems in an elegant, non intrusive fashion for common people.

Lutron folks, I have an Apple developer account and would be happy to be a tester.

Bktay, I agree getting more platforms would be good, but realistically iPhones are probably more common with the client base, so this is a good start. I usually put in dedicated iOS devices for home control for installations too, and they're cheap enough to do this.

I do think the unified control like COULD be possible with HomeKit will allow Lutron to play with the other devices you mentioned without having to build an automation system--just plug in. Simple, cheap, and effective. Companies like Crestron don't have the resources to build something like Apple can

• schalliol, we're largely in agreement.

The other point I'm trying to make is that Lutron could (and probably should) make a bigger impact in the HA market if it makes the final end user the central focus - putting the end user first. That might also be a necessity given the competitive pressures.

HomeKit could be a starting point to make Home Automation more accessible to the general public, starting with the more technically savvy.

14. Likes schalliol liked this post
    Apple is only lagging behind a small australian automation company by a couple of years

http://vimeo.com/33906157

This isn't only about Siri integration, and a third-party really can't do what Apple is working on. Apple does often re-imagine concepts that aren't new that work when others don't in the marketplace.

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast