Thanks Thanks:  1
Likes Likes:  1
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Motion delay using integration?

Motion delay using integration?

Hi All,

I'm attempting to create a time of day based dim levels triggered from an occupancy sensor using 3rd party integration. I was able to get the functionality working, however, there is a 3-5 second delay turning on the lights. I see the delay from the GROUP command until the trigger is sent is ~100 milliseconds.

Any ideas how I can lower the delay from when motion is detected until the lights turn on?

I have a 0 second ramp time, and I've tried both turning on the 2 dimmers directly and creating a virtual button on the repeater to turn on both dimmers simultaneously.

Thanks,
    Paul

How are you doing the integration? What's setting the dim levels?

Quote Originally Posted by FlyingDiver View Post
    How are you doing the integration? What's setting the dim levels?

Hello,

It's custom software that I wrote. It allows me to measure the timestamps of messages down to the microsecond or nanosecond.

Thanks,
    Paul

So where's the actual delay coming? If you have the occupancy sensor directly turn on the lights, is there a measurable delay? If not, how are you getting the button press indication into your software? How are you reading the telnet connection data stream?

Thanks, good question. The delay appears to be turning on the lights.

It's anecdotal and not measurable since I don't have a good way to measure exactly when the occupancy sensor detects motion, however, it seems like when I walk in the room, I see the GROUP event fire, followed by a very quick send of the command to turn on the lights, and then the lights turn on 3-5 seconds later.

I am reading the telnet stream. It seems like there is a delay on the repeater to actually turn on the lights.

Thanks,
    Paul

Are you sure you're terminating the command that turns the lights on properly? Maybe it's waiting for the terminating characters and not executing the command until after a timeout?

Are you sure you're terminating the command that turns the lights on properly? Maybe it's waiting for the terminating characters and not executing the command until after a timeout?

Thanks, another very good question. I confirmed using a packet capture that I'm sending a carriage return (0x0D) followed by a line feed (0x0A).

And note that I also get a response from the repeater around 100 millis that says the device is turning on. However, it still appears to take a while.

Thanks,
    Paul

Thanks,
    Paul

Interesting. What's the actual device type you're controlling?

Also, have you tried programming a set of phantom buttons that turn on the device(s) at the desired level and used one of them instead of sending the command directly?

I'm wondering if there's a communication problem between the repeater and the device that's causing the delay. Have you tried any tests that turn on these lights from the repeater (not directly from a switch or sensor) without your software?

Interesting. What's the actual device type you're controlling?

2 RRD-6CL dimmers.

I edited a previous reply instead of sending a new one. The ack from the repeater is quick, but I do wonder about a delay from the repeater to the switches.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast