Thanks Thanks:  6
Likes Likes:  8
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: Apple Home Kit - Potential Answer to Home Automation Integration

If Lutron were to do away with direct 3rd party integration it would be devastating to many of us. We are currently able to provide vastly capable integration with other systems in the home WITHOUT DEPENDING ON THE INTERNET BEING UP. This is a big deal. One of the very important things that traditional professional automation solutions allow is a home with complete standalone functionality - i.e. communication between internal subsystems does not depend on an off-site server.

Security-conscious automation providers don't expose any of this stuff directly to the Internet anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by metrognomicon View Post
    If Lutron were to do away with direct 3rd party integration it would be devastating to many of us. We are currently able to provide vastly capable integration with other systems in the home WITHOUT DEPENDING ON THE INTERNET BEING UP. This is a big deal. One of the very important things that traditional professional automation solutions allow is a home with complete standalone functionality - i.e. communication between internal subsystems does not depend on an off-site server.

Security-conscious automation providers don't expose any of this stuff directly to the Internet anyway.
    +100. Any thing that relies on an internet connection being up (or even wifi, IMHO) is a joke (unless your putting together a "system" from what you can buy at BestBuy.

Yes it would be disrupting, but as in any shift, the new API and requirements need to be published early as I stated in point 2 in my earlier post.
    ================================================
    2. publish the new api and requirements early.

================================================

The main repeater depends on a TCP/IP network for integration with other systems whether they be local or remote. Network, identity and data security is big concern whether or not there is external connectivity (i.e. - INTERNET BEING UP).

In a stand alone wired network linking a number of speakers to a number of audio sources (eg -microphones, players, midi keyboards, etc), it is necessary to
    1. Encrypt all the network packets flowing between the devices
    2. Have an established mechanism for identifying and validating devices appearing on the network

The fundamental fact is that there are many instances in history where it is better to be the disruptor than the disrupted, even with the pain involved.

Quote Originally Posted by mark2457 View Post
    +100. Any thing that relies on an internet connection being up (or even wifi, IMHO) is a joke (unless your putting together a "system" from what you can buy at BestBuy.
    The need for security is orthogonal to internet connectivity.

As more devices and systems become connected (locally and/ or remotely), security will need to scale with the need for ease of use/ convenience.

My strong response was to the notion of doing away with 3rd party integration. I'm perfectly happy if Lutron adds SSH (with certificate management) for 3rd party integration, which would satisfy your requirements 1&2. But if instead it goes in the direction of Caseta with Xively in the middle then I would not be able to spec the product.

Stronger measures than adding ssh + cert management would probably be necessary given the network security issues encountered. Perhaps password protection, public/ private key encryption of messages, ... in addition to ssh, certificate management.

Network security used to be all about keeping intruders out of the network.
    Today, things are more complicated with the move to unmanaged wireless networks with multiple entry points (Wifi direct and other peer to peer networks co-existing with connections to the main network), the desire for ease of use and the realization that the barbarians may already be inside.

As an example, the Windows 10 Wifi sense password sharing is a security risk.

I posit that Lutron needs to take a more active approach in ensuring that their home control systems are secure.

Agreed. If convenience control fails with the Internet, that wouldn't be the end of the world, but things like smoke alarms or security breaches activating the lights shouldn't rely on the Internet. Nevertheless, locking into one supplier like alarm.com is silly for a variety of freedoms, and the bridge ought to be able to locally handle local network connections.

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345