Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Dimmable Under Cap Hardscape LEDs?

Dimmable Under Cap Hardscape LEDs?

This isn't limited to RR2, but I have a problem in that I would like to use under cap low voltage hardscape LEDs but I can't find any way to is them with RR2 or otherwise. Has anyone aware of a solution?

Lights like those in the following link are really common: http://www.kichler.com/products/cate...hardscape.aspx

I haven't formd a good transformer that can dim them by spec, but I see a big coming need.

Has anyone dimmed low voltage outdoor lighting? Thanks!

Not all LED lamps or fixtures are dimmable regardless of the driver or transformer used. If you want to dim then look for a different product otherwise just use an 8ANS or the RR2 equivelent. I've used those Kichler lights but never tried to dim and since the specs don't say they're dimmable so I would assume they shouldn't be.

Environmental lighting has some cool dimmable LED stuff for exterior and water proof uses.
    VAV
    Danbury, CT

Thanks for the quick response, and I'll certainly check out Environmental lighting!

I'm aware not all dim, and I think this is the case for these. I simply can't find a stealthy product for this purpose that isn't dimmable, which surprises me. VOLT makes similar products and don't say they can dim either. Is anyone aware of a dimmable product in the space? The only options I've found are one gang 120V that would require a lot of block cutting and be more visible.

Quote Originally Posted by schalliol View Post
    Thanks for the quick response, and I'll certainly check out Environmental lighting!

I'm aware not all dim, and I think this is the case for these. I simply can't find a stealthy product for this purpose that isn't dimmable, which surprises me. VOLT makes similar products and don't say they can dim either. Is anyone aware of a dimmable product in the space? The only options I've found are one gang 120V that would require a lot of block cutting and be more visible.
    I've reviewed a landscape lighting plan recently that used auroralight brand fixtures for LV LED lighting. I haven't seen them in action but the specs are right for simple dimming control with forward phase dimmers. I haven't priced them but they look expensive.

Dumb question- does the kitchler light you refer to above NEED to dim? Many times the lighting designers I work with expect path lighting to be switched, not dimmed.

The issue with the dimming is to make sure the lighting is just right for the activity. Some low-level lighting around the fire makes sense, while it could make sense to amp it up for other uses. I really appreciate hearing about auroralight, and they do have some dimmable LEDs like you suggested (about the first I've seen!). I'm still trying to find a dimmable under cap LED, and I think it might just not exist in anything that can be controlled by RR2. FXL (a Hunter company) has a neat lighting control system called Luxor, but it's not compatible with outside control and I'm sure is a boat load of money. I talked with Lutron support, and they said they just don't look at landscape lighting. Ultimately I think outdoor lighting is a place for Lutron and RR2 to grow.

I've attached some images for reference, and you can see what these kind of lights look like with the bottom picture (they just connect under the top part of the wall and stay stealth). I'm still holding out hope I can find something that works, and I appreciate every one's thoughts!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 4261.jpg  

Enviro has some nice superflat LED rope lighting with sealed water proof ends just need epoxy or RTV to fasten to the masonry, Very bright and dims very nicely, there are straps available too but it would be a PITA on stone. There are various extruded channels you could use too. Lots of choices for every application. I do have some of these Kichler fixtures in stock so I could test to see if they do actually dim if you haven't already tried yourself.
    VAV
    Danbury, CT

I'll check out Enviro's rope lighting. Thanks! I just heard back today from Kichler that in fact the fixtures are not dimmable, and if they have voltage that ranges much beyond 12V they'll flicker and not work properly. What a generous offer though!

i was on a similar quest for under-cap LED linear lighting that behaved well with electronic dimmers.

i contacted kichler about their pro led hardscape lights, here's what they said:
    Quote Quote
    Unfortunately, all our 12V led outdoor fixtures are not dimmable. The drivers on them need constant voltage. If they are dimmed at the transformer the result is strobing or flickering, so they cannot be properly dimmed in this manner.
    i did find a very similar looking product (similar form factors, similar mounting plate design) from brilliance LED's. using Cree brand LED's (generally a sign of a better quality fixture, in my experience), it claims to be dimmable. http://www.brillianceled.com/Light-Bar.html.

if anyone has any other suggestions for products this application, i'd like love to hear.

That's a nice find! Says it's dimmable using most mag xformers and aside from the standard lenghts you can get custom lenghts up to 90" and colors too if you want to get funky.
    VAV
    Danbury, CT

Thank you for this nice sharing. Great post.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast