Thanks Thanks:  1
Likes Likes:  1
Dislikes Dislikes:  0

Thread: Conditional Timer not as expected

Conditional Timer not as expected

I had a client we just started servicing ask for a simpler solution to 'vacation mode'
    The request was to have certain lights turn on at dusk, different lights turn on at 9pm, and then all lights turn off at 11pm.
    They had a button engraved as "away" that originally toggled between vacation mode record and playback.

I wrote 3 new timeclocks with conditionals.
    One at sunset that "if variable AWAY = away then run preset 1. End if" (preset 1 turns on lights on the 1st floor)
    A 2nd at 9pm that "if variable AWAY = away then run preset 1. End if" (preset 1 turns on lights on the 2nd floor)
    A 3rd at 11pm that "if variable AWAY = away then run preset 1. End if" (preset 1 turns off lights on 1st and 2nd floor)

I deleted the vacation mode programming on the away buttons and now that button uses an advanced toggle to change the variable AWAY between away and home. the led ON state is away.

I expect that when the client presses the button so that the away LED is lit, then the timers will run. When the client presses the button so that the away LED is unlit, then the timers will NOT run.

I've gotten a call stating that the timers work but the client cannot get the timer to stop running.

Does anybody see an obvious flaw in the above logic? Did I overcomplicate the process by choosing advanced toggle?

thanks for any help with this!

I would think that you would use the button to toggle the variable between Home and Away not the LED logic as you explained the time clock will only run based on the away variable

Quote Originally Posted by mcignarella View Post
    I would think that you would use the button to toggle the variable between Home and Away not the LED logic as you explained the time clock will only run based on the away variable
    I think I over-complicated my explanation! Sorry!

The button uses an advanced toggle to change the variable between Home and Away.
    The ON state is Away. The OFF state is Home.
    When the LED is lit, then the Away timer should run.
    When the LED is unlit, then the Home timer should NOT run.

I'm guessing that a default-toggle would work the same way, I just like looking at the OFF tab in the advanced toggle screen so I see that the Home state is set when OFF.

It looks like the logic should work as expected- I'm beginning to wonder if the client expects something different.

Authorized Lutron Contributor
    Would you be able to attach your program to the post? Please indicate the keypad name/location of the away button and we can verify the functionality of the programming. Also, if the client were to have a different requirement, could you clarify as to what it is?

Digi

Also keep in mind after an upload the variable goes to the default state. So depending how you set the variable up you may need to cycle toggle the button to get the variable in correct position after an upload

Quote Originally Posted by Armando B. View Post
    Would you be able to attach your program to the post? Please indicate the keypad name/location of the away button and we can verify the functionality of the programming. Also, if the client were to have a different requirement, could you clarify as to what it is?
    I've converted it to illumination. The forum uploader tool would not allow me to attach a mdb file.
    If you look at the '1st floor 1_foyer/vestibule MC-110 @ Entry' keypad, button 2 has the away programming I modified to toggle the home/away variable.

I've got a feeling the actual complaint is that the homeowner forgets that the away variable is lit, the lights turn on inside the house at sunset, then they press the away button, and those same lights stay on.

My guess is the client actually wants the button to set away to home AND turn the lights off, but that is just a guess. I haven't spoken with the homeowner, we just got an email from the estate manager. The message: "The homeowner cannot get the “away” scene to turn off now."

I'm visiting the project tomorrow morning.

I'm guessing I can write a new preset into the conditional logic that if away=away and the time is between sunset and 11pm then set those same lights to 0%.

Armando, if you can confirm that the current logic is solid that would be helpful. If I goofed up a PM is appreciated :)
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Last edited by digit1; 05-21-2014 at 04:34 PM. Reason: added humor

It looks like to me at first glance the AWAY Late Timer time clock is set to noon is that what you want or should that be midnight ? If you could explain exactly how you want it to work we could definatly help just need a little more info.

8. Thanks digit1 thanked for this post
    Likes Armando B. liked this post
    Dang it yep I goofed that. Thanks for the second set of eyes- that is supposed to be 11pm, not 12pm. This will probably explain the callback!

Thanks for checking my homework!